the postage amount some are charging for a very small item $9 $10 $and $13 dollars for local post

sie_au0
Community Member

I HAVE JUST  BOUGHT A VERY SMALL ITEM AND THE POST WAS SET AT $8 THAT WAS FOR LOCAL MELBOURNE POSTAGE / THE ITEM COULD HAVE BEEN PUT IN AN EXPRESS POST BAG FOR $6 //]]  WHEN I RECIVED THE ITEM IT WAS ORDINARY MAIL IN SMALL POST PACK THE POST WAS $2 10 cents BAG WOULD BE 80c  //  I BELIVE THIS IS GOING ON A FAIR BIT AND REGULAR SELLERS ARE MAKING A GOOD PROFIT BY DOING THE EXESS POST COSTS //   I ASKED THE SELLER ABOUT THIS AND HAVE HAD A BARRAGE OF BAD MESSAGES SENT TO ME AND /SHE PUT IT UP ON EBAY MARKS THAT I WAS A LATE PAYER AND RUDE AND ARROGANT /ALL THIS FOR JUST SAYING THE TRUTH ??? SO PLEASE BEWARE OF THIS / this is the first time for me that it has happened . most people are very good / but i think there is a money making sceam going on with some by getting the extra money for postage . PS THIS PERSON SAID SHE CHARGES FOR GOING TO THE POST OFFICE .I COULD NOT BELIVE  SOME ONE WOULD DO THAT // AND THE SELLER IS A RGULAR IN THE COSMETICS  SALES //

Message 1 of 15
Latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Re: the postage amount some are charging for a very small item $9 $10 $and $13 dollars for local pos

my post office is 5kms away from my house. Thats a 10km round trip. At the cost of petrol, adding to cover the trips to the PO is a far call. (and fighting to find a close car park, the time it takes me to drive there, park, walk into the PO, line up, get out, walk back to the car, drive back home can easily add up to half an hour or more!)

If you dont like the postage charges, dont bid on the item.  ๐Ÿ™‚
A lot more sellers are listing with free postage these days, so seek them out instead.

********* *********** *********** ************ ************ *********** ***********
Be Kind To Nurses....
They Stop The Doctors From Killing You.
Message 2 of 15
Latest reply

Re: the postage amount some are charging for a very small item $9 $10 $and $13 dollars for local pos

Nasty!!

welcome to the list

Message 3 of 15
Latest reply

don't complain about postage after you purchase something. If you don't like the overall price postage included, don't buy simple.

So which would upset you the most $1.00 and $10.00 postage or if the item was listed as $11.00 with free postage?? think about it.

Message 4 of 15
Latest reply

imastawka
Honored Contributor

Seller has left you false positive feedback - not allowed.

Get ebay to remove it

Message 5 of 15
Latest reply

lol, its actually impossible for sellers to leave negative feedback.

They could put a comment in, but these days its just really petty.

On a side note, ebay also makes a profit in the postage costs too.

Taking their cut of the costs.

I send everything with tracking and insured even tho the customers

would never pay for the cost and have never actually asked

to insure their product that gets sent to them.

I wouldnt get too worked up over this case tho,

Sometimes its hard to estimate postage costs, unable to

put in prices per state or per area, just free, flat price for everyone

or set it at ebay generated postage prices.

The postage may have been auto generated by ebay itself.

Message 6 of 15
Latest reply

There are hidden costs involved in Postage & Handling that buyers perhaps do not appreciate.

As mentioned car travel (time & petrol) then are stationery costs,  ink for printer (label), pens, cost of parcel itself (which varies depending on what type is used), packaging ( ie to protect item being sent).... sticky tape, cost of internet fees, electricity etc etc etc

Standard 500grm parcel is $7.45, so being charged $8 seems quite reasonable and not scamming you.

Many sellers like myself charge the bare minimum... I agree with you when sellers charge ridiculous pricing it does leave a bad taste but then you the buyer decide if you wish to deal with them. ebay states it is against the ebay policy to inflate postage costs - but I do not believe ebay enforces this rule which is a shame.

Also consider:

For sellers they buy the product and hopefully sell at a profit (which is common sense in the business world), they then have upkeep costs such as previously mentioned office supplies and running to the P.O. etc BUT on top of that (sellers can not charge the buyer for the following fees)  Paypal fees ( sellers gets charged a % of the sale -+ebay FVF, ebay charges sellers a % of the purchase price then there is the actual cost of listing the item (sometimes this can be free for the seller if they have an ebay store BUT then the seller is charged a fee for having an ebay shop (minimum is $49 per month).

Many small sellers like myself are battling to make a profit - ebay is not a fair playing field for Australian sellers.

I hope this helps youโ™ฅ

Message 7 of 15
Latest reply

PLUS just in recent times ebay NOW CHARGES the seller a % of the postage fees -

Aust Post is very scrict with parcel sizes, if the parcel does not fit through a letter slot guide the seller can be charged a higher fee by Aust Post.

Believe me, most small time sellers are not making enough money to buy food or pay the rent or buy fast cars or take overseas trips... at the moment I would be luckly to have vegimite sandwich, to live in a tent, riding a bike and as for a holiday well the backyard looks good, so at least the tent would have a dual use.

Message 8 of 15
Latest reply

Forget about the petrol to go to the PO, that is not an allowable postage cost . Ebay allows a seller to charge for the actual postage cost plus the cost of packaging materials and for the time taken to locate and prepare the item for posting, not for actually posting it. Anything else should be added to the item price if the seller wishes to recoup that costs.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 9 of 15
Latest reply

Sellers often just quote parcel rate for all their items. But when they fianlly pack it and head down to post office it gets past through as letter rate. Some will then refund the difference, others will just call it part of the swings and roundabouts

-------------------------------

ASSUMPTION IS THE MOTHER OF ALL STUFF UPS!!
Message 10 of 15
Latest reply