to withdraw an item from an auction before the end of the auction.

Am I following the right procedures if I withdraw my item before the end of the auction if I see the bids are far away from what I thought to sell it?

Thanks

Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Re: to withdraw an item from an auction before the end of the auction.

What "procedures"  are you following?

Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

Why would you choose to list with a starting bid so far away from what you would actually accept ?

Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

This is exactly what happened to me with one of my recent bids. The seller pulled out with less than 2 days to go when the bids wasn't going as well as he/she had expected/hoped. I called it 'UNPROFESSIONAL AND UNETHICAL' but like someone recently said 'I am the seller and I can do whatever I want'. 

Does that also include buyers has the right of 'opting' out after winning the bid?  With no repercussions or strikes?

Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

Did the lens not get the right price last time it was listed, hence it being relisted again? Always start auctions at the minimum you are prepared to accept, and not a dollar less. If you keep ending auctions with bids because you don't think they are going to fetch a high enough price, eBay will eventually get really upset and pull your selling privileges. 

There is still 3 days to go. A lot can happen in that time.

Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

@claudio511 wrote:

Am I following the right procedures if I withdraw my item before the end of the auction if I see the bids are far away from what I thought to sell it?

Thanks

That's a pretty ridiculous situation to find yourself in, to be honest. It's not like you are a total newbie to ebay.

You're the person who sets the starting price of any auction.

No one here would expect you to give it away but why not just start your auctions at the lowest price that you would be willing to take?

Sure, everyone would like to then see an auction take off and end in a great price but that often doesn't happen. Be realistic, start at your lowest selling price.

Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

@halfgweilo wrote:

This is exactly what happened to me with one of my recent bids. The seller pulled out with less than 2 days to go when the bids wasn't going as well as he/she had expected/hoped. I called it 'UNPROFESSIONAL AND UNETHICAL' but like someone recently said 'I am the seller and I can do whatever I want'. 

Does that also include buyers has the right of 'opting' out after winning the bid?  With no repercussions or strikes?

In answer to your final question - NO. If you win an auction and don't pay, the seller can open a UPI (unpaid item) case against you, which can result in a strike..

Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

Most auctions I am interested in usually double in price in the last 24 hours of auction end. The last one I was bidding on trippled in the last few minutes of the auction, although this won't usually happen on the more common items.

Auctions are good for items where you have absolutely no idea their true worth, or where you are happy with whatever you get.

Otherwise do some research on sold items on eBay, and price your item accordingly with 'buy it now'. You can even offer discounts to watchers if you find your item sitting for too long, although I haven't found this too successful in the past.

Message 8 of 8
Latest reply