what can i do about a group deal that was a lie, it has never bean or was a $300 item SCAM

I recently bought a fruing pan set in a group deal on ebay they advertised it was a $299.00 set at 84% off. The item arrived and i had to laugh. There is no way these pans are worth $300. They are cheap and nasty 3 pans of stone wear and they have a combined weight of 2kg, The large of these that you buy from woolies is as heavey as all 3 together and looks ten times better. I have since bean searchiing for this item and cant find any where that its a $300 item. The most expensive place is welling these for only $93. The company who offered this deal is selling the same set for $69, I was under the impression that people on ebay were still required to be honest on there deals, I guess my question is what do i do about something like this not just for me but also the other 999 people who got scamed with this deal

Message 1 of 17
Latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

what can i do about a group deal that was a lie, it has never bean or was a $300 item SCAM

There's nothing worse than fake RRPs.

Message 2 of 17
Latest reply

Pays to shop around.
If I was after expensive cookware I would want to inspect it before paying for it as many are advertised about being wonderful, solid and expensive but are not.

If you are unhappy with it you could try contacting the seller and asking for a refund due to item not being as described through Paypal, assuming you paid with Paypal. You will have to return the fry pan set to the seller though by trackable post.

I guess proving that they are only cheap and not worth the $299 could be tricky though.

Why did you spend so much if you have seen them for $93?
 photo GRUMPYCATSIGN_zpsa8f18bba.jpg
Message 3 of 17
Latest reply

thanks for responding to clarify paid $48, they were meant to be 84% off an original price of $299, Im more angry than anything im sure its illegal to put an inflated price, Also you would think ebay would have a problem that there group deals are a scam. The $93 dollar ones i reasearched after my purchase. I no i can claim through paypal, but buy the time i pay postage Im only going to get half my money back and is not worth the effort, Im more curiouse if i can report them to the Accc, I think thats what its called for fake advertisement?

Message 4 of 17
Latest reply

It's the sellers who put a price on their items.

It's up to the buyers to decide if they want to spend that much on them.

I have seen the same kind of mark up on stuff in bricks and mortar stores as well, a lot of the discount and homeware stores. Bedding that has a $200 sticker on it that the store sells for $99 and advertise it as a big special, and you know full well that it's sold far cheaper elsewhere

photo GRUMPYCATSIGN_zpsa8f18bba.jpg
Message 5 of 17
Latest reply

tstore
Community Member
RRP is just that - 'recommended'. If they wanted to sell above RRP then there is nothing 'illegal' about it.
Message 6 of 17
Latest reply

imastawka
Honored Contributor

It's no less misleading than eBay listings which advertise 'free postage'. Both are outright lies.
Message 8 of 17
Latest reply

You have to look at the amount you are paying (not what the RRP is claimed to be). $48 for a set of frypans, should tell you they are not going to be good quality.

You could complain to ACCC and say the RRP was misleading.

Statements such as 'Was $150/Now $100' or '$150 Now $100' are likely to be misleading if products have not been sold at the specified 'before' or 'strike through' prices in a reasonable period immediately before the sale commences.

Message 9 of 17
Latest reply