why do we have to have sellers having misleading ad items?

For example - you are scrolling down looking at buying some new bed QS sheets

You select priced lower to higher so the cheaper ones come up first.

Imagine my suprise when I see 4pc 1000 thread count sheet set for $4.50 free postage

Wow what a bargain. NOT SO.

It's only when you click into it you discover that the $4.50 is for 1 pillowcase not the sheet set as advertised.

If they want to put that price up there, why not put a picture of a pillowcase and call it a pillowcase not a sheet set.

so annoying.

Message 1 of 12
Latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Re: why do we have to have sellers having misleading ad items?

I assume they also had the sheet set in the listing ? (at a different price)

Otherwise it's against the rules.

I often skip all the listings with a price range, i.e. 2.00 - 55.00

image host
Message 2 of 12
Latest reply

Yes when you go into the listing you get to "select" the different items sheet sizes and colours. The price then changes to around $30

and the only item for $4.50 is one pillowcase

I think I will be skipping these ones  from now too.

I just wish they couldn't do it.

If a normal shop advertised the same, they wouldn't get away with it. They would have to sell their sheet sets for $4.50

The same rules should apply here.

Message 3 of 12
Latest reply

1000 TC for $4.50 is unrealistic.

If you have a mental benchmark in mind when you search for specific items, you can avoid listings that are obviously bait-and-switch. For example, if I were looking for 1000 TC (genuine / good quality sheets), I'd not expect to pay much less than $200 as a base figure. If I were searching on eBay, I would adjust the price range in my search to exclude anything lower than $100 (or - let's make it $50), just to weed out the obvious fakes and frauds.

Message 4 of 12
Latest reply

Did the listing only say the $4.50 or did it give a price range?

Message 5 of 12
Latest reply

Did the listing only say the $4.50 or did it give a price range?

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

You only see the $4.50 when you are scrolling down the listings search.

The title is 4 pc sheet set 1000 thread count bla bla $4.50 free postage.

no where on those lines does it say that the price is for a pillow case only.

It is only when you go into that listing you select the sheet size and colour and whamo, that's when you discover the $4.50 is for one pillowcase only.

Message 6 of 12
Latest reply

4 Pieces 1000TC Fine Brushed Microfiber Sheet Set Bedding Queen/King/Double

copy and paste this into the search 

and you will see what i mean.

Message 7 of 12
Latest reply

It's very annoying when sellers do this.

Personally, I wouldn't mind if they had one of these multiple listings for different sized sheets, at different prices. That would be understandable. But a pillow case is not a sheet set.

If you're looking for a 1000 thread count, I was once told that the number doesn't tell the whole story and some 300 thread count sheets can be better made with better cotton than some 1000 thread sheets. And don't fall for the old trick where sheets are advertised as 'cotton rich". Cotton rich does not mean all cotton.

My advice to you would be to have a direct look at the sheridan website. It has lots of last season's colours at big markdowns. To me, whether an off white sheet  was called snow last year and ice this year doesn't matter, not if it means 'snow' is half price.

You won't find anything for $4.50 though, not even a pillowcase.Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 12
Latest reply

Sheridan is my go-to for sheets.

Buying directly from Sheridan gives a fair price (and occasionally there are sales and vouchers.) Sometimes Sheridan Outlet has what one wants at a better price.

I love the look, feel and fresh smell of linen or cotton.

It was with some reluctance that I bought silk pillowcases a few months ago in an effort to minimise my hair (which is quite long) getting tangled with knots. But at least with the pillowcases being Sheridan, I knew I'd have beautiful quality that would last.

And one day when I find buried treasure or stumble across Aladdin's cave or win a lottery, I may buy Irish bedlinen... Ferguson's have such beautiful stuff.
Message 9 of 12
Latest reply

I've had a few good buys from the outlet, countessa. Smiley Happy

My children always loved silk pillowcases. My grandmother made them and I still have a couple. I no longer use them, I just kept them for sentimental reasons. I saw silk sets in China last year at the silk factory but they were close to $100 a pair and the doona covers were 2 or 3 thousand. Lovely to look at but not for me with my 2 dogs as I wouldn't want a claw near it, not even if it was just the bottom edge they could reach.

Haven't looked at Ferguson's but it does sound tempting.

I've been burnt a couple of times  buying sheets I thought sounded good but they were a major let down. They are now one of those things I am prepared to pay a little bit more for.

Message 10 of 12
Latest reply