why does eBay's postage take so long , and why isn't express post an option ,

dddeers
Community Member

Why does ebay's postage take so long . A package from Melbourne to the Gold Coast anything from 7-10 working days . Why isn't express post made a compulsory option.

Message 1 of 23
Latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

It has nothing to do with ebay - Australia Post is responsible for the time.

If you need express post, why not ask the seller for express post and be prepared to pay the extra.

Message 2 of 23
Latest reply

Working out the postage cost of an item, can take quite a bit of time for the seller if the item is not a standard size and weight. Having to work out the express post option as well would take even longer. This would increase the amount of time it takes to list an item, for the the benefit of the one in one hundred buyers who require express. It is much better for the express buyer to request a revised invoice from the seller for the higher express post cost.

As to why it takes Australia Post SOOOO LOOOONG to deliver mail now, when it only took a couple of days in the past, thats another very interesting and frustrating question. AP is slowly killing the goose that lays the golden eggs. 

Message 3 of 23
Latest reply

@dddeers wrote:

. Why isn't express post made a compulsory option.

The answer to that question is simple - not every seller is willing and / or able to provide express postage, and while including an express option is certainly encouraged by eBay, they have no business deciding what postage options an individual offers, or forcing them to offer specific services.  

Message 4 of 23
Latest reply

@dddeers wrote:

Why does ebay's postage take so long . A package from Melbourne to the Gold Coast anything from 7-10 working days . Why isn't express post made a compulsory option.

You don't buy your items from eBay. EBay isn't a massive warehouse stocking all the items you look at. Ask your seller for express. Most are willing to comply if you pay the extra.

Message 5 of 23
Latest reply

I don't why the Ebay postage labels option still doesn't include Express, you either have to use click and send or do it manually. If they introduced it into the labels system then maybe more sellers may be prompted to offer it.

For most transactions however it just makes it all too expensive.

I offer it and I reckon maybe 1% take it up

-------------------------------

ASSUMPTION IS THE MOTHER OF ALL STUFF UPS!!
Message 6 of 23
Latest reply

in the past couple of weeks i have had 1 parcel take 14 days to arrive which was coming from the same state.

it had done looping it was scanned 7 times at one facility, plus it had bounced back between 2.

oz post couldn't care less

i now have a second parcel which is overdue.

and i got told by oz post  well what do you want me to do about it.

i have also taken the matter up with the ombudsman

i got told from them that because i live in a rural area there is no time frame as to how long parcels will take and in future i should pay extra for express post.

Express post to my area  takes same time to get here as regular mail.

also i don't see why i should be forced into paying for express post  and paying a way lot more money when it is of no benefit.

my advice to anyone is to go to your local post office and ask for a pm26 form and lodge a complaint.

if your parcel is overdue.

Message 7 of 23
Latest reply

I wouldn't even be at 1% over 3 accounts. I've had one buyer use it this year. I sent one express 2 weeks ago as the buyer had overpaid and postage is normally slow to her area from here, so instead of refunding the excess postage, I sent it express (and it still took 4 days!). I sent another order express a few months ago as the buyer had spent quite a bit, so I upgraded it at my own expense as a little thank you.

Message 8 of 23
Latest reply

I am like Tippy, I stopped offering express as nobody used it. I think I have used express possibly three times in the last 4 years.

If a buyer wants to pay extra for express then they can ask before they bid/buy and I will send them a quote which will include the extra 10% I don't save using ebay labels on top of the actual cost and my P&H fee and it will be going express parcel, not a satchel, so I can get SOD.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 9 of 23
Latest reply

I never used to offer express as I wasn't able to guarantee dispatch within 24 hours, but now that I can I offer it on most of my listings (handmade stuff that I do made to order I don't, as the vast majority of people presume express post applies to the seller's handling time as well as the delivery service). eBay actually used to have an express option with their labels, I don't know what happened to that but I just use C&S now, and can get the flat rate prices a little cheaper than over the counter due to the B250 membership. 

I don't have a high percentage of buyers using it, especially as it's nearly 3 x the cost of standard since I can't send my items as express letters, and maybe 40% of the time express is used, it's on a single item under $5.00. 

Other buyers use it when they live in rural (but not remote) areas and want a slightly faster delivery (packages will usually travel via the express network faster, then take the normal amount of time to get to the buyer from there, so it's usually a couple of days faster than standard post). 

The rest of the time it's generally for last-minute gift type items. 

Message 10 of 23
Latest reply