Cut glass or not

Can any-one tell me how to tell if this sugar shaker is cut glass

It is very thick and weighs 314. grms. The top isn't marked with the silver mark but  says made in England

When I hold it up to the light there are like lttle bubbles inside and the inside feels to be ribbed like the outside.

Thank you all

Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Re: Cut glass or not

If you google McKinley Act you can read all about it. In brief it was to protect USA made goods from foreign imports; when it came into effect in 1891 it required for goods imported into USA that the country of origin be printed or marked in legible English words (this was particulary aimed at Chinese and Japanese wares.) After 1921 the country of origin had to follow the words "Made In" - again specifically aimed at Japan, who had to substitute Japan for Nippon.  I guess that if an item was made purely for domestic consumption, it would not have to be so marked - for example, very few run of the mill Australian produced goods would have found their way overseas. However for factories which were hoping to export (like British ones) it was obviously easier to have a common mark, printed or otherwise, which was applied to all items. I hope I have explained this correctly; I am certainly no expert.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

Poured or Pressed glass will have the dimples or such as you describe inside,does it have straw lines......like seams on the outside.

Another poss is Imitation Cut Glass from the early 1900's but i dont really think your piece is.

Just a piont for future,photo's showing the whole item etc is good,not just close ups.

Good luck

Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

Cut glass has very defined edges (sharp edges) not cut yourself sharp just crisp edges whereas poured/moulded glass will have rounded, smooth edges.

Message 7 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

If you google something like "how to tell the difference between pressed and cut glass" you will find several articles that give advice. While I think it can be quite tricky, if you can feel "dimples" inside that mirror the outside pattern, it is going to be pressed glass - these would be created when the item was moulded. The metal top marked Made in England is going to be a silver metal (like nickel); if it was silver plate it would be marked EPNS. If it says Made In England (rather than just England) it was probably made after 1921.

Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

Thank you again siddieswans. I have tried to tell by the ideas I found on Google but did find it 'tricky'.

Think to be on the safe side I will list it as 'glass'!!

Did England mark everything 'made in england' rather than just England after 1921?

Thanks again Patricia

Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

If you google McKinley Act you can read all about it. In brief it was to protect USA made goods from foreign imports; when it came into effect in 1891 it required for goods imported into USA that the country of origin be printed or marked in legible English words (this was particulary aimed at Chinese and Japanese wares.) After 1921 the country of origin had to follow the words "Made In" - again specifically aimed at Japan, who had to substitute Japan for Nippon.  I guess that if an item was made purely for domestic consumption, it would not have to be so marked - for example, very few run of the mill Australian produced goods would have found their way overseas. However for factories which were hoping to export (like British ones) it was obviously easier to have a common mark, printed or otherwise, which was applied to all items. I hope I have explained this correctly; I am certainly no expert.

Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

Thanks for that info. I will have a google

Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

Poured or Pressed glass will have the dimples or such as you describe inside,does it have straw lines......like seams on the outside.

Another poss is Imitation Cut Glass from the early 1900's but i dont really think your piece is.

Just a piont for future,photo's showing the whole item etc is good,not just close ups.

Good luck

Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

Cut glass has very defined edges (sharp edges) not cut yourself sharp just crisp edges whereas poured/moulded glass will have rounded, smooth edges.

Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

Thank you for all your replies. Sorry about not posting a full photo..have done it now. Done't know if it makes any difference but I have just noticed that it is different round the bottom edge. You may be able to see it in the first photo I uploaded.When looking at it standing up (the item not me!!) it is alternate squared at the bottom of the ribbing and then the next one is pointed. I've probably got you all confused  now but thanks anyway for the info already given.

Message 8 of 8
Latest reply