Help with Harvey School Pottery Identification

Hi Everyone, I purchased these 2 pieces recently and were told they were Harvey School.  Both pieces are signed R.E.R. The jug includes the number 12.36 and the pot includes the number 9.45 - I'm guessing that's Dec 1936 and Sept 1945? The only information I could find is a reference to a piece of Harvey School pottery in one of my antique reference books that notes it is signed by R.E.R - but who is R.E.R?  I'm hoping one of the eBay Australian pottery experts can shed some light on this.

Wishing everyone a Merry Christmas and safe and happy New Year!

Message 1 of 12
Latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Re: Help with Harvey School Pottery Identification

Sorry I donโ€™t think this is Harvey School pottery. True Harvey school pottery โ€“ that is, work produced by students at the various Queensland Technical Colleges / Art Schools under the tutelage of L J Harvey, were sophisticated pieces โ€“ Harveyโ€™s โ€œ20 exercisesโ€ often had classical design motifs. While it is true that โ€œHarvey School Styleโ€ is often applied to pieces produced by student potters in other states in the years up to WW2, I donโ€™t think this applies to your work. To me it looks like the sort of thing produced at pottery classes by amateurs โ€“ possibly everyone made the same sort of bowl and the initials allowed them to be identified. To me it looks 1950s 1960s. Others may disagree though; I donโ€™t claim to be an expert.

Message 11 of 12
Latest reply

Re: Help with Harvey School Pottery Identification

Your reply is very much appreciated thank you for your help. Kind Regards Angie

Message 12 of 12
Latest reply