Help with Harvey School Pottery Identification

Hi Everyone, I purchased these 2 pieces recently and were told they were Harvey School.  Both pieces are signed R.E.R. The jug includes the number 12.36 and the pot includes the number 9.45 - I'm guessing that's Dec 1936 and Sept 1945? The only information I could find is a reference to a piece of Harvey School pottery in one of my antique reference books that notes it is signed by R.E.R - but who is R.E.R?  I'm hoping one of the eBay Australian pottery experts can shed some light on this.

Wishing everyone a Merry Christmas and safe and happy New Year!

Message 1 of 12
Latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Ohh, I think we go to the same auctions! When these came up for sale, I checked through all my reference books but could find no reference to anyone who could be R.E.R. I am sure you know that there a myriad of of folk who passed through the actual "Harvey School", but as well pottery classes in most other states which produced similar "Arts & Crafts" type pottery. The term these days seems to be applied to any handbuilt pottery with coloured glazes in the Arts & Crafts style. As far as I can see, these pieces do not conform to any of the 20 actual Harvey School Exercise Piece designs. I would also note that most true "Harvey School" pieces that I have seen described have, as well as the name or monogram of the maker and the year date, "Q" or "QLD" or even "Q"LAND." You are probably right about the date numbers, but again this would indicate to me a student piece, rather than something by an established potter - I just had a quick trawl through Australian Art Pottery 1900-1950 and could not see any pieces marked with month and year like that. They are very attractive.

Message 2 of 12
Latest reply

Hi Siddieswans - it's a small world!!!  Last night I was trawling the net again on the hunt for information on these pieces, I came across a Melbourne auction house that sold some pieces of 'Harvey School' pottery, there was a vase described as "R. E. Rookwood Harvey School Australian pottery vase" so I'm thinking I've found the R.E.R? (I did ask how it was known the pieces were Harvey School and was told the vendor was in QLD and the pieces were originally going into a museum)

Message 3 of 12
Latest reply

hiya, was just going to look thru my book of names Ive recorded of Harvey School pupils, then I saw your own post with the answer. WD and great pieces too.

Message 4 of 12
Latest reply

Hello again When our favourite auction house listed these originally in their sale 19th May there were 8 similar pieces and one was actually signed R E Rookwood - according to the catalogue. You would think this COULD (or SHOULD) have affected how they catalogued these 3 pieces which did not sell and which were re-offered recently. And that they should have been able to tell you this. Ah well.

In another life I was a genealogist; searching QLD Births Deaths Marriages I would be pretty sure the maker was Robina Elizabeth nee Squair (born 1901) married Arthur Sydney Rookwood 1919. She was still alive on QLD Electoral Rolls (Leichhardt) in 1980 and as she does not appear on QLD Historical Death Indexes, it seems she died after 1983. Have a Google through Trove or similar, she may have exhibited in some of the QLD Technical School exhibitions.

Message 5 of 12
Latest reply

Thanks 4ewesonly!

Hi Siddieswans, I had no idea these pieces were originally listed in May but yes, you would think so - I'm wondering if there wasn't room to sign the full Rookwood on these small pieces?

That's amazing the information you were able to find through QLD Births Deaths Marriages - I tried to find something / anything using her name but nothing came up on the internet.

I'll always look around now thinking who is Siddieswans!  Hope you have a Merry Christmas!

Message 6 of 12
Latest reply

t2030.gif

Message 7 of 12
Latest reply

Hi Siddieswans,

That was a good attempt but actually Ruby Shaw  married Stuart Rookwood in 1912 in Sydney. 

I just started going through images of Harvey School pottery on the internet as I am starting to gather my research together to hold another exhibition of the pottery of LJ Harvey and his many students and associates at the College of Art, Brisbane in 2018. There will be a substantial publication listing details on Ruby's work and lots of others but there are still scads of potters of whom I have not been able to trace details.

So I am in the process of gathering all details together.

Best wishes

Glenn R Cooke (Author 'LJ Harvey and his School', 1983)

Message 8 of 12
Latest reply

More power to your arm. If I am still on this earth in 2018 (sometimes the end of the month seems a challenge Smiley Very Happy) I will look forward to your publication.

Message 9 of 12
Latest reply

Hi Everyone,

We bought this pottery long time ago and we believe its Harvey School pottery. can anyone identify the initial in base HMG?

Your help is very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Angie

Message 10 of 12
Latest reply