Help with Silver markings

I am trying to work out the exact meaning of these markings. It is made by W & H and have an idea of the meaning of the other marks but not 100% sure.

SDC12293.JPG

Message 1 of 24
Latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

W&H - Walker and Hall

The crown looks like the Sheffield crown.

Lion Passant - London and other English Assay Offices.

a - 1824

I think I have that right. Smiley Happy

image host
Message 2 of 24
Latest reply

I have the "a" as 1918 date code which would fit as it appears to be a rugby union trophy. But what is it made from silver plate or sterling silver. The box it came in had "silver unidentified trophies Aust. War Memorial" and there was a tag with "war memorial" written on it attached to the trophy.  

Message 3 of 24
Latest reply

Sterling silver items are always marked with the number 925 somewhere on the piece. They may also bear the word โ€œSterlingโ€ stamped on the item. For fine silver, look for the imprinted letters FS or the numbers 99.9 stamped on the piece.
To distinguish silver plated items from other types of silver, look for markings such as EP, Silver on Copper, or EPNS (electroplated nickel silver) on the item. 

The box and tag have probably been added later as the holder didn't know what it was.

As for the date, I am going by Sheffields date stamps. But if it's rugby union then as you say my date seems too early.

Otherwise I get 1916 according to London stamps.

image host
Message 4 of 24
Latest reply

I doubt it has any value as it came grouped with other items and no one purchased it from its original auction. But I have learnt to be careful before discarding something particularly when I know little about them.

Message 5 of 24
Latest reply

Don't throw that out..  it's English sterling silver.  I'm no good at reading date stamps but it's the more modern pieces that have 925 or simply "silver"  on them, mostly Australian or American pieces. The lion passant is the proof that it's actually(English) sterling silver... not silver plated

Message 6 of 24
Latest reply

Walker and Hall made both sterling silver and silverplated items

here is their sterling silver marks

http://www.silvercollection.it/ENGLAWALKER&HALL.html

and their silver plated marks

http://www.silvercollection.it/ENGLAWALKER&HALLDATE.html

because they made both.. they're a bit tricky, imo

Message 7 of 24
Latest reply

From what I could find the marks are telling me it is made in shefield and the "a" should be 1918 and has the sterling silver stamp. 

If it is sterling silver it has some weght which is around 700grams but the figure on top which I have no clue to what it is made of would be around 200-300grams. So I am reluctant to sracp it until I find more information problem is the box it came in has unidentified silver trophies written on it so my only hope is it's meaning is no one has yet searched for information of its origin.

I should mention my idea of discarding is putting it back into storage until I come across it in years to come.

Message 8 of 24
Latest reply

As already stated hallmarked sterling silver Walker & Hall Sheffield 1918. As a Rugby Union trophy it may have some value as a piece of sporting memorabilia; scrap silver value at the moment is about 72c per gram - that is 100 gms sterling 925 silver is worth approx AU$72. Silver trophies are often weighted, or may have bakelite/silver stands which may add to the weight. So I wouldn't be throwing it away.

Message 9 of 24
Latest reply

Here is a photo I found and it is around 35cm tall. Not sure why but it has a piece of copper wire around the right wrist. Hoping it would have more than scrap value but not too bad considering I was buying a BBQ cover at auction and this and a 1993 RAAF flying suit was included in the auction as they where clearing out odds and ends from previous lots thar had not sold.

rugby.jpg

Message 10 of 24
Latest reply