Help with dentifying pottery / china mark please

Hi Everybody,

Would anyone have any idea of where this pottery mark is from?

It is from the base of a fairly large hexagonal, two-handled brown vase with an picture of a boy with a horse and cart on it.

The number 1923 is shown on another part of the base and the number 405 appears to have been imprinted into it.

I had what I though was a good look on the internet but couldn't find anything similar.

Thanks for your time,

De'ana

Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Dont recognise the mark but the "Made In England" means it is a 20th Century piece so therefore the 1923 is mostly likely when it was made and the other number probably the design.

Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

Thanks
Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

imastawka
Honored Contributor

It appears to be Shaw and Copestake Potteries.

It was an early mark.  They are the makers of Sylvac pottery

1925 - 1937

http://www.thepotteries.org/mark/s/shaw_cop.html

A picture of the actual vase might have helped as well 

Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

Just beat me to it - I have arrived back home to my reference books. For anyone who feels they may have a lot of pottery marks to identify, I would again recommend Miller's Pottery and Porcelain marks by Gordon Lang. (Constantly updated - mine is 2007.)  It allows searching for marks not only by name or initials but also by what they call "devices" - ie designs. This falls into the Devices - Plants, Flowers and Trees category - there it is, page 257, 4th one down, - many hours of Googling saved.

Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

I have a very old beat up copy of this -

1979 - does the same job, I s'pose.

I couldn't find it on the net, nor in the devices list in the book.  An updated version

might have found it sooner

I had to start alphabetically!                

Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

@imastawka wrote:

I have a very old beat up copy of this -

1979 - does the same job, I s'pose.

I couldn't find it on the net, nor in the devices list in the book.  An updated version

might have found it sooner

I had to start alphabetically!                

Oh dear, "S"!

Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

Thanks everyone.

The book looks like a great resource.

Unfortunately I'm in the process of clearing out 70 odd years of my grandparents belongings as I've just sold the house I've inherited and as we're downsizing to a caravan, I've got a few other books I'd rather keep 🙂

When I have aminute I'll post a photo of the vases but I think in the end I'll probably give them to my Uncle. It seems a little unfair to sell something that may have family memories attached to it.

Thanks again for all the help,

De'ana

Message 8 of 8
Latest reply