Japanese Cast Iron teapot

5kazam
Community Member

I have one of these 'Japanese Antique IWACHU Tea Pot Kettle Tetsubin Chagama Cast Iron' (or similar title), and wanted to know, if possible, whether it's the genuine thing, or something produced for the tourist trade.

I've seen heaps of them on eBay (I think it's the US site) and they are asking quite a bit for them.  I've actually seen one that has the same finial on the lid as mine, and the seller is asking something like $300 (US).

Anyone able to give me an opinion, as this is totally out of my league.2392.JPG

Message 1 of 14
Latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

5kazam
Community Member

2393.JPG

Message 2 of 14
Latest reply

2394.JPG

Message 3 of 14
Latest reply

Oops!!  I think I for got to tick the 'email me' bit (but done now).

Message 4 of 14
Latest reply

Even the new ones sell for around US$ 200.

http://www.zensuke.com/iwachu.html

Yours looks a little too glossy for an antique. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-Japanese-Shuzan-Sato-Work-Old-Kettle-TETSUBIN-Chagama-Tea-Ceremony-Pot-...

image host
Message 5 of 14
Latest reply

Thanks, and thanks for the link - that was very interesting.

As far as being glossy - it was covered in rust, and so we cleaned that off, and then (as per internet instructions for restoring cast iron), gave it a coat of cooking oil, and baked it in the oven for an hour.

I'm sure some of the ones I have seen, which are also glossy, have been treated in the same way.  If necessary to bring it back to an 'authentic' look,  can easily remove the oil coating and treat it with tea, as per the instructions on the link you posted.

Were you able to translate the Japanese on the front of the pot?

Message 6 of 14
Latest reply

That makes sense why it's glossy.

No I am no good with Kanji characters, only the simpler Japanese characters, Hiragana and Katakana.

I'll see if I can get a friend to look at it.

image host
Message 7 of 14
Latest reply

That would be appreciated.  

All the ones I have seen have Japanese characters to the front under the spout, but no two seem to say the same thing.

Message 8 of 14
Latest reply

Sorry kazam, it's a little difficult for my friend to see properly to dicepher.

But part of it looks like the word for silk and could also mean fine fabrication.

Another part is Big Rock meaning strong as a mountain rock.

Part of the name he thinks has saki in it. (possibly from Nagasaki as an example)

All I can get I'm afraid.

image host
Message 9 of 14
Latest reply

Thanks Kopes.  Probably not that important, just curiosity.

Can I ask a real dumb Rhonda question?  Why is it when I'm not signed in I can see pics on the posts, but can't when I'm signed in.

Message 10 of 14
Latest reply