Olympics hand exerciser .. or not? 50s or unrelated to olympics

shudder theres actually a fair bit of dust in this!  the olympics were here in 2000 and was it 56?  so my friends sister wonderted if it was a souvenir related to the olympics

or could it just be a company named olypic sports with a tiger logo

she was elderly so could have been strengthening her fingers, wrist hand.  she did a lot of craft...

any comments to identify?

it does look as if it could be oldish...plastic

thanks

Message 1 of 6
Latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

If this is small enough to compress with one hand, then I suspect it is a hand exerciser/strengthener - an old-fashioned version of this

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/enjoydeal-Hand-Forearm-Finger-Wrist-Exerciser-Tension-Extend-Grip-Str...

(it's just that the springs look massive in your photo!)

I am sure it has nothing to do with the Olympic Games or Olympics in any way - just a trade name. Probably one you couldn't get away with now.

Message 2 of 6
Latest reply

def. not related to any Olympic Games here or elsewhere.

anything that has the approval of the IOC would have the Olympic Rings in correct colours on it.

(yes 1956 was Melbourne olympic games)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
~~ ~~ ~~ Those who do right, have nothing to fear.
Message 3 of 6
Latest reply

perhaps you didn't need approval rights in 1956 putney?

Message 4 of 6
Latest reply

@onekiwi0 wrote:

oh yes they did, I have several friends who collect and exhibit their 1956 Oly collections.  each one with the coloured rings.. cups, glasses, plates, scarves, towels, belts, all sorts of things.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
~~ ~~ ~~ Those who do right, have nothing to fear.
Message 5 of 6
Latest reply

@putney32 wrote:

@onekiwi0 wrote:

oh yes they did, I have several friends who collect and exhibit their 1956 Oly collections.  each one with the coloured rings.. cups, glasses, plates, scarves, towels, belts, all sorts of things.

From what I have been able to read, the country which stages the Olympic Games takes out trademarks to protect their Olympic property rights – I don’t know when the AOC (apparently founded in 1895 according to Wikipedia) would have done this but the USOC began this in 1948 apparently. As some have recently discovered, the word ANZAC has been protected since 1920.

Message 6 of 6
Latest reply