ceramic clown doll

Hi,

I found this old clown doll in storage. It belonged to a lady who would now be around 90 and she said it was her aunts. The face and hands are ceramic (no chips, minor crazing) and on the back underneath the porcelain it is handwritten/inscribed anona '85. It is about 23 inches. She was sure it was a very old clown passed down to her from relatives. Some people have said it is probably a hobbyist doll made in 1985, but she believed it to be older, but it looks too good for 1885?. I cant find anything that looks similar either. Any thoughts?

Message 1 of 5
Latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Re: ceramic clown doll

I think the style is similar to the PIERROT ones popular in the 70's-80's. the costume style,colours etc,those big hands though ???

He is not one of those.

Is that a blue wool he is strung by??

Someone else will come along.

Message 2 of 5
Latest reply

Yes it does look like a Pierrot clown. It looks like blue cotton. The hands are pretty big!

Message 3 of 5
Latest reply

I would bet anything its a fairly modern one, and the hands are 'Mickey Mouse' Gloves hands.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
~~ ~~ ~~ Those who do right, have nothing to fear.
Message 4 of 5
Latest reply

They actually do look like mickey mouse hands! funny how someone raves about how old something is..then you find out its not so antique haha.

Message 5 of 5
Latest reply