eBay And Pitney Bowes destroying Nepalese Heritage

I bring to you attention a matter regarding the cultural property and heritage of Nepal.

As a collector of antique arms and armor I recently bought a 150 + year old rare antique kukri off eBay UK from a seller who had inherited it from a distant relative who was a collector. She had little need for such an old item. I had asked for the item to be sent direct but due to time differences etc it was too late when the by the time I noted that the GSP program was used. The seller had never sold anything like this.

To give a historical picture similar pieces are found at the National Museum of Nepal and Metropolitan Museum of Art (NYC).

The seller used the eBay Global Shipping Program unfortunately that is operated by Pitney Bowes. The seller declared the item “Antique Kukri for restoration” at my request. That is what it is.

Unfortunately this antique artifact has been classed as a "restricted item" for shipping to Australia by GSP

IT IS NOT a restricted item according to Australian Customs Authorities and would appear to have become entwined in some automated internal company system/policy.

The first I knew of this was a message from eBay and I quote "The item in question has been deemed restricted. This could be due to import/postage restrictions or eligibility requirements within the Global Shipping Program. The item won't be sent to you, nor returned to your seller."

I urgently contacted Pitney Bowes and EBay to explain that this item needed to be returned to the seller due to its rare historical nature - Pitney Bowes Responded:

"We have looked into your query, and can confirm that the item was restricted for delivery to the Australia. It was reviewed by the Dangerous Goods Approved representative and was deemed that we could not deliver this item to you as it contains “ Item confirmed classified under Chapter 93 (arms and ammunition – parts and accessories), due to global security concerns restricted to All Countries “ Each country has different restrictions, and unfortunately this was unable to be delivered."

They have failed to actually read the full Chapter 93:

"Notes.1. - This Chapter does not cover: (f) Collectors' pieces or antiques (9705.00.00 or 9706.00.00)."

If a company is to quote the relevant customs act to justify an action taken they should get it correct.

Ebay’s response was standard policy disinterest but they did concede “Restrictions like this are also rare as we try to proactively block potentially ineligible items from being listed through the Global Shipping Program” well it did not work this time.

Again with a clear lack of understanding of the case put forward by me they said “I want to help as much as I can, so I would also suggest reaching out to your seller to determine if they might ship similar items to you direct in the future.” These are rare and rarely seen.

I'm concerned that a rare antique historical kukri is to be destroyed. I'm not out of pocket having received a refund for both the item cost and international shipping/import charges.

I also contacted the seller and i quote some of our correspondence:

"Oh dear! I'm very sorry. Thank you for all your help with this. I feel so stupid. Because ebay allowed the listing I didn't think I was doing anything wrong."

Last known location is the Lichfield, Staffordshire UK Pitney Bowes warehouse.

I have sent a number of emails etc. to eBay and Pitney Bowes explaining this is an important historical artifact and it must not be destroyed. I just want it sent back to the seller as Pitney Bowes said it would not be, but be "liquidated".

I have repeatedly asked for this item to be returned at my cost to the seller - these companies are destroying a cultural artifact.

"the right to dispose of or liquidate the ineligible item, including without limitation (A) returning the item to the Seller, (B) handing over the item to the authorities, or (C) destroying the item." Note condition A.

I have also called on the following persons/organisations to intervene and save a artifact that is 150 -200 years old.

Helen Whately Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Arts, Heritage and Tourism.

International Kukri Research and Historical Society
Antique Arms Society of Australia.
The Armor and Arms Club in the United States
New Zealand Antique and Historical Arms Association
Arms & Armour Society UK

Himalayan Times Newspaper

India Times Newspaper.

Item number: 113924011594 & eBay order # OREUKA21246095175AU

Message 1 of 4
Latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

The possible destruction of one knife hardly means the destruction of a country's heritage. Especially one that requires restoration, as it won't be original after that process.

Pitney Bowes WILL NOT ship knives of any descriptiohn. Even butter knives are banned by them. I very much doubt they have assessors, it is far more likely their computer is instructed to ban all knives. Quicker, simpler, and cheaper.

Whilst your complaint might get some traction with the entities you have listed, it certainly won't with eBay or Pitney Bowes. eBay won't take responsibility, rightly, as they aren't the shipping agent. Pitney Bowes are unlikely to change their algorithms on the basis of a complaint.

Ps. They generally don't destroy them, they sell them themselves.

Message 2 of 4
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

As Dave says, Pitney Bowes was the worst shipping company to use for your item.....they will not ship knives of any type to Australia despite only a very few being restricted imports.

I do hope some of the people/organisations you have contacted can help but don't hold your breath.

Keep an eye out for it being resold on ebay.....Pitney Bowes has a nasty little habit of confiscating items and then selling them through their own IDs.   We have seen it happen in the USA and I have no reason to think it will not happen in the UK.

Message 3 of 4
Latest reply

The seller had never "sold anything like this". They had inherited it from a distant relative. Called in listing title "British WW1 Gurkha Kukri knife / sword with scabbard" as this was their best guess and listed under WW1 "field equipment" and category "swords" but was still offered GSP. They did not seem to know this was being offered internationally by GSP. Yes they broke the terms and they have no interest in the item returned. They have their money. 

Their description was "British Gurkha Kukri knife with scabbard. British WW1 Very collectable. Condition is Used. Dispatched with Royal Mail 2nd Class." I had it confirmed by seller before shipping that it would be sent Royal Mail  - it was in their description. I only realised that they sent Royal mail to GSP UK only when too late. I was under the impresion it was being shipped direct to me - perfectly legal. 

I have just been calling for the item to not to be destroyed but donated to one of two museams that would take it. 

if it turns up for sale again then at least it is not destroyed. 

Message 4 of 4
Latest reply