eBay Global Shipping Program Complaint

My Carton Ware jug was broken in transit under the eBay Global Shipping Program. To make a claim I have to ask the seller to accept a return. This is misleading as it was well packed. EBay disingenuously says this is the "default route" to make a claim under its global shipping program and the only way to do so. I cannot make a false claim against a seller. Carolinefarm
Message 1 of 10
Latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Re: eBay Global Shipping Program Complaint

This post is probably better in buying.

Your claim is with the seller and the seller's claim is then with GSP as they have the contract with them.

It is not a false claim as that is the procedure.

(Obviously not "well packed" enough).

image host
Message 2 of 10
Latest reply

It was packed well enough. It was not transported carefully.
Message 3 of 10
Latest reply

Further and in the alternative, as I asked the seller to ship it and paid for the shipping, the seller acted as my agent so any contract GSP has is with me!
Message 4 of 10
Latest reply

And how can you conclude without any evidence or knowledge of the facts whatsoever that it was 'not "well packed" enough'.
Message 5 of 10
Latest reply

Just because eBay has a procedure does not mean that it is inherently correct. My claim is under the GSP against eBay and not against the innocent seller. It is not a derivative claim.
Message 6 of 10
Latest reply

I am sure this question is better directed to the Buying Board, where you may find someone who has used this method of claiming for damage in transit. As it does not apply to goods purchased from Australia (yet, thank goodness!) I have no personal experience.

The buyer terms and conditions of the eBay GSP are here

http://pages.ebay.com.au/shipping/globalshipping/buyer-tnc.html

You agree to accept them when you register on eBay.

From Googling it would appear that the route to go down is SNAD (significantly not as described) item; open a case and upload pictures of the damaged jug. It is up to the Seller to refund you, which they obviously should do, as you did not receive the goods as described. They should then contact eBay as they should be covered by their Seller Protection. If the Seller does not agree to totally refund you only then should you ask eBay to step in. Then eBay should refund your money. If they don't do it promptly, get on the phone and demand action. If it is a question of returning the damaged jug, use the photos you upload to the claim to show that the item is ruined and not worth returning. Unfortunately it is a common scam for buyers to claim an item is damaged  - your photos will prove that you are telling the truth.

As a Buyer I would not be questioning the rights or wrongs of the programme. Sellers in the USA and UK have the option to opt out of the GSP; if they choose to use it, it is because they think (rightly or wrongly) that it benefits them in some way.

Good luck.

Message 7 of 10
Latest reply

Hi The goods were purchased from the UK. My issue is that eBay is encouraging buyers to make unjustified claims against sellers. My agreement to eBays terms and conditions is not effective to override the Australian Consumer Law. I am referring the issue to the Department of Fair Trading.
Message 8 of 10
Latest reply

good luck with that one.

Message 9 of 10
Latest reply

oh no! No wonder my moneybox was shattred into peices!

Message 10 of 10
Latest reply