vintage Omega watch

Hi All, was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction...I have a vintage 1970's omega mens automatic watch. I am tring to find more info on it. Serial number, exact date & approx value. I am a bit worried about opening the back as I am quite dumb when it comes to watches. Thanks

Message 1 of 6
Latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Re: vintage Omega watch

Frankly I would not try to get the back off - these types of watches usually require special tools and as an amateur you may do damage to the case. If you have a friendly watch maker he may be prepared just to take the back off for you - does it need a battery anyway? You would need to have the calibre/caliber number and serial number to list it properly on eBay. I gather it is not gold.

If it is a non-goer and you want to sell it, you could try it as "For parts or project" as is. I would not sell a vintage watch overseas but that is just me. If you search Omega De Ville Automatic Used you will find lots of items - you may find one very similar. Good luck.

Message 2 of 6
Latest reply

As siddies has suggested, don't try to open it yourself.

It has a back case seal designed to keep moisture out (a precursor to corrosion) and can be damaged in taking the back off.

Take it in to have the battery changed but unfortunately if a battery has been left inside for a long period that could have leaked and caused corrosion in the movement.

You may end up with a nice working watch or something to sell as parts.

BTW if you are in Melbourne a friend of mine is a swiss watch maker and would be happy to take a look inside for no charge.

image host
Message 3 of 6
Latest reply

Nice offer; wish I lived in Melbourne. Smiley Very Happy

Message 4 of 6
Latest reply

Thank you for your reply. The watch is in good working order. It is an automatic & keeping time perfectly. I agree with not removing the back as I could easily damage it, will take it to my local watchmaker & get him to do the deed.

Message 5 of 6
Latest reply

Thank you kindly for the offer but I lived 3000ks away from Melbourne, I am in far North QLD. I have had the watch checked & confirmed as genuine & from 1970. It is in great working condition. I will take it to a professional to get the info needed.

Message 6 of 6
Latest reply