Message 1 of 23
Latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

what do you collect

vinyl records,australian pre decimal coins,stamps,anything i think is cool

Message 2 of 23
Latest reply

what do you collect

So Interesting. Such specific interests. I wonder how old you are?  The only reason I ask is as a senior citizen, involved with antiques and collectables for 40 + years, our constant refrain is โ€œHow do we interest the next generations in collecting?โ€ When we started, we collected EVERYTHING old โ€“ we had period houses and we furnished them accordingly. Our mantra was โ€œnothing newโ€ except for obvious things like appliances, mattresses and bed linen. I donโ€™t think there are many young people like that these days. And we must have done something wrong because neither of our daughters is the slightest bit interested in โ€œold stuffโ€ โ€“ except when it comes to the 1980โ€™s theme Christmas party, which I am happily helping with โ€“ 1980โ€™s โ€“ Iโ€™m still wearing it!

Having sold up everything 11 years ago when we moved to an apartment, we have started again.

So we collect โ€“ GLASS โ€“ 1900 to 1970s โ€“ but happy to push the boundaries a bit either side. I collect Australian ceramics โ€“ PPP, and that kind of thing. I collect Australian postcards, particularly relating to the Southern Highlands and Australian ephemera (books, photographs, paper items, of all sorts.) I have a small (Australian) bookplate collection, and am particularly interested in Australian etchings, linocuts to about 1960. We have run out of wall space. I have a HUGE vintage costume jewellery collection, collect antique/vintage Australian jewellery when I can afford to, and am trying to collect small Australian silver to the 1980s.

My husband is particularly interested in clocks. And mechanical things. I am sure I have forgotten something. We have an incurable auction addiction โ€“ the next auction to always going to bring the next great bargain.

Message 3 of 23
Latest reply

what do you collect

Im 47. I have had other collections but that is what I'm into at the moment. Started with stamps and coins. Collected model 92 Winchester lever action rifles for a while too I still have some I haven't bought any for years. I also have a huge tin collection but don't buy them any more. Can only spend it once. I got into the Canadian Westclox pocket watches when a friend of mine inherited his grandfathers watches all were broken but one was incomplete and he gave it to me. I started messing around with it and was able to get it working again. In my search to get the pieces to complete it I acquired a nice collection of my own and was able to return my friends watch fully restored and then fixed his other two broken ones.
Message 4 of 23
Latest reply

what do you collect

That's great, so nice to see a young person into collecting. At age 66 we would still be on the "young" side at many of the auctions we go to. And what a terrific way to get started on a new collecting theme - by helping a friend restore his pieces.

Message 5 of 23
Latest reply

what do you collect

Sorry to be rather mundane in my reply, but I just collect coins. Well, I suppose the parameters expand to include other numismatic items (banknotes, tokens, medals) but coins are my primary interest. Australian and world, ancient, mediaeval and modern.

It was "Other Collectables" night at my coin club meeting last night. And, once again, I couldn;t bring anything to suport the Topic. I just don't have anything else I collect.

Message 6 of 23
Latest reply

what do you collect

Sounds to me you need a bigger apartment. I collect coins, stamps and are constantly upgrading. I think a lot a people have a portfolio of rare coins and stamps but purely as an investment. Us oldies are more collectors than investors. 

Message 7 of 23
Latest reply

what do you collect

@privateone wrote:

Sounds to me you need a bigger apartment.

That would be nice. After last weekend have happily added a large Colin Heaney piece to our glass cabinet, and a Lladro group to my polar bear collection.  Last auctions for the year this weekend Smiley Sad

Message 8 of 23
Latest reply

what do you collect

I think coins are a better investment than stamps.  Unfortunately the younger generation are more into electronics.  How many young people even read books.  Stamp Collecting is a great hobby especially if you collect foreign stamps, a great way to learn about all the different countries around the world which makes it educational at the same time.  I hope parents encourage their kids to take up some of these hobbies - can't sit in front of the computer all the time.

Message 9 of 23
Latest reply

what do you collect

I collect sterling silver cigarette cases, cigar cases, vesta cases, card cases, ladies etui's, cigar cutters - 180 at last count and I dont smoke!

Message 10 of 23
Latest reply