Why doesn't this forum allow uploading PNG files?

Notably, the forum has PNGs (and SVGs) anyway in the form of emoticons (not just font-based emojis) and the actual topic icons. Seems like an oversight to me, given that PNGs have only been the standard web image for a quarter of a century.

Sure it's nothing to convert a PNG to a lossy old JPEG that has blurry speckles everywhere and is 6x the size unless you compress it to death for even less quality, or converting to a GIF that only allows 256 colours due to the format being last updated in 1989, but still...

Message 1 of 5
Latest reply
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Re: Why doesn't this forum allow uploading PNG files?

imastawka
Honored Contributor

reply.png

That's not a quote - it's a saved PNG   Hover over it.

Am I missing something?      I save a lot of screenshots as PNG's

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5
Latest reply

4 REPLIES 4

imastawka
Honored Contributor

reply.png

That's not a quote - it's a saved PNG   Hover over it.

Am I missing something?      I save a lot of screenshots as PNG's

Message 2 of 5
Latest reply

Also a PNG

horses.PNG

Maybe a case of 'size matters'?  File is too large?

https://www.ebay.com.au/help/selling/listings/adding-pictures-listings?id=4148&st=3&pos=1&query=Addi...

Message 3 of 5
Latest reply

Aha, I think I just found the problem! I was using the "Attachments" button below the reply box to add images, and this option doesn't actually allow anything besides .gif and .jpg, but adding the same file via the "Insert/edit image" button works and adds it directly to the post instead of as an attachment. Thanks for replying and getting me to look at things for more than 30 seconds!

Looks like the attachment button is redundant, with the other option being more useful and even adding the image directly to the post.

Message 4 of 5
Latest reply

add photo.jpg

Using this you can upload as many photos as you like.

Using 'attachments' it is loaded on to ebay's server, making it impossible to delete the image when you want to.

Message 5 of 5
Latest reply