1960s Fashion advice please

We have been invited to a 50th wedding anniversary party where (female) guests have been asked to wear hat and gloves, (gentlemen to wear jacket and tie).  I started doing a search then realised I have no idea what would have been appropriate headwear to wear to a wedding in 1966.  

Would some of our more mature posters be able to help me out please?  I don't particularly want to do hippy, but the wedding in question was on the Sydney northern beaches area.  You can PM me if necessary. 

Thanks Woman Very Happy

Message 1 of 14
Latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

image.jpeg

George Harrison getting married in 1966. Couple of hats in shot.

To get that I googled "famous weddings 1966" and looked at images.

Frank and Mia were married in 1966 too.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buttercup: You mock my pain! Man in Black: Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.
Message 4 of 14
Latest reply

That one is great

great.jpg

Photobucket
Message 5 of 14
Latest reply

A simple bow in a high hairdo will be appropriate also if you can't find a hat. Lots of pictures had that as "the look". 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buttercup: You mock my pain! Man in Black: Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.
Message 6 of 14
Latest reply

60s was London - Carnaby Street London.

I was there.

Mini - Military - Epaultes.

Vidal Sassoon

Scan_20150829.png

Google - Biba London.

The best store I have ever seen.

Message 7 of 14
Latest reply

I made this outfit in the 60s.  including the hat

There was a kerchief 

Finally, a very chic  "I will say zis only once" red beret for winter.

DEB

Message 8 of 14
Latest reply

I was a child in the 1960s...but it was the era of wearing hats and gloves to church on Sundays.

Short gloves were worn in the daytime.  I had a plain straw hat with flowers but what I really remember, and it was the case for many female relatives, hats were held in place with long and deadly hatpins.  So if you are wearing a hat in windy conditions....don't forget the hatpin!

Message 9 of 14
Latest reply

imastawka
Honored Contributor

I think 1966 was a little too early for hippies in Australia.

I seem to remember wearing a flowery pill box hat to a wedding around '65 or so

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=pillbox+hats+1960's&biw=1087&bih=584&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ve...

Older ladies would have had a veil over it down to their nose,   lol

Message 10 of 14
Latest reply