76 per cent want poll on same sex marriage

dellynt
Community Member

http://www.9news.com.au/national/2015/08/17/06/25/most-want-vote-on-gay-marriage-poll

As thetopic says....  76 per cent want a poll only people that dont are the hysterical rabid left who are trying to shove this down our throats... wonder why they are so scared of a poll...

bring on a plebiscite or referendum... let the people decide. 

Message 1 of 374
Latest reply
373 REPLIES 373

Who are they?

I think the highest percentage of Australians are in favour of equal marriage rights, so maybe we should save the money and just do it.

@konadely wrote:

http://www.9news.com.au/national/2015/08/17/06/25/most-want-vote-on-gay-marriage-poll

As thetopic says....  76 per cent want a poll only people that dont are the hysterical rabid left who are trying to shove this down our throats... wonder why they are so scared of a poll...

Message 2 of 374
Latest reply

@azureline** wrote:

Who are they?

I think the highest percentage of Australians are in favour of equal marriage rights, so maybe we should save the money and just do it.

Couldn't agree more azure. 

Message 3 of 374
Latest reply

Of the 23Million plus people in Australia, they surveyed only 1200 people, and where did those people live?

How can this be a true representative of the 'people'.

What a whole lot of garbage - what difference does it make if they make it legal or not, they are still going to live together and make their own committment as most do now anyway. I'm not for or against it, I am just sick and tired of the debate taking over the real governing of the country. The government needs to get on with the job of governing not that I think they are doing a good job anyway.

A piffy poll like that certainly does not represent the majority of people and definately not my opinion.

Message 4 of 374
Latest reply

Should we have to pay the $120 millions for the referemdum. ?? It would cost probably in the order of $120 million of Australian taxpayers' money to hold this event," he told the ABC's AM program.
Message 5 of 374
Latest reply

Abbott knows that of all the referenda held in Oz,90% of them get voted down.That's why he's chosen this path.The guy's a twerp and the sooner he goes the better.
Message 6 of 374
Latest reply

@konadely wrote:

Long on rhetoric-  short on logic. 

The only way we are ever going to get a marriage equality bill passed  is if we get a  government prepared to support it - and that ain't gong to happen with the present government. A bill introduced now would be defeated. The best hope is that Abbott will  allow the deabate to fester right up to the next election. 

Food for thought: according to Family Voice the percentage of homosexuals in Australia is between 1 - 2 %.

http://www.fava.org.au/news/2012/how-many-homosexuals-are-there-in-australia/

However, an opinion poll last year put the number of Australlians. supporting same sex marriage as 72%

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/poll-shows-growing-support-for-samesex-marriag...

It would appear therefore that around 70% of 'straight' Australians would like their gay fellow citizens to be allowed to marry. Far from being an hysterical, rabid left who fear a polll I would suggest the 24%  who oppose it are far more likely to be extreme conservatives.

And just as an afterthought: rabies does not exist in Australia so it is highly unlikely that 24% of the population is rabid.

Message 7 of 374
Latest reply

@myoclon1cjerk wrote:
Abbott knows that of all the referenda held in Oz,90% of them get voted down.That's why he's chosen this path.The guy's a twerp and the sooner he goes the better.

He says the poll will be held in "the next term of parliament".  That could mean 4 years from now, and hopefully the public will have forgotten about it by then (he thinks).

Message 8 of 374
Latest reply

Sorry Polkie

He did it because he knows that he won't be in next term.
Message 9 of 374
Latest reply

I think he genuinely believes that is is a "fad" (didn't he or one of them say that recently?), and that in a few years we won't care much, and the poll will fail, as Myoclon says.

Message 10 of 374
Latest reply