29 REPLIES 29

Re: A very snakey Christmas

Im noticing we get heaps of red belly snakes in our area with more people planting gardens,10 years ago they just were not in inner sydney suburbs.

im terrified for my dogs as I know of 4 dogs killed  by snakes localy ...all dead within 50 min . So Redbellies are a big worry even if low down on the poison scale.At least they are very timid,they flee if possible .Iv heard taipans will chase you which is an awful  thought!

Message 21 of 30
Latest reply

That is really scarey amalan.  Snakes in the suburbs killing dogs and other pets, it must be a horrible feeling not knowing if they are safe even in your own garden ...  Smiley Sad

Taipans that chase after you ... now that is the stuff of nightmares .. Smiley Surprised

Message 23 of 30
Latest reply

marwi_3023
Community Member
I remember reading an ABC online article that featured a Queensland snake catcher and he said that every person in Queensland has probably been within a metre of a snake every day
Message 26 of 30
Latest reply

"I remember reading an ABC online article that featured a Queensland snake catcher and he said that every person in Queensland has probably been within a metre of a snake every day"

"Faints" .. that includes me when I was there then too marwi ... that is really some statistic ... Woman Surprised

Message 27 of 30
Latest reply

I feel sorry for that bloke John, from the children's nursery rhyme...

"Diddle diddle dumpling, mice on John...".

The poor bloke'd be a snake magnet! ha ha.

🙂

Message 28 of 30
Latest reply

When i was a kid i remember being warned on bush walks not to tread on snakes  as they can be hard to see and thought you would have to be a blind fool to miss one and tread on it..

last year I learnt my lesson as twice  I had a heck of a fright walking dogs and realised how easy it would be.

First time I cut across a corner between two busy paths under pine trees  on a hot day and litraly right under our feet a huge red belly reared up out of pine leaves and shot off weaving back and foward and hid in the riverbank, it was As scared as me but either dog could have grabbed it.

The  about two weeks later I  was standing on path while dogs sniffed at trees, looked down opp side as there is all wandering jew beside path and thought I saw a  bike tyre,then I saw redish belly slowly move,and realised it was a huge red belly  just about 20cm  away from my foot sunning itself in the weeds. 

Id say it was same one, as guy  who lives in the  house there said he often saw it coming to his pond in front yard for a drink .

I can't  help wondering how close iv come and not spotted them . On hot days now im always watching  ,funny enough first one i ever saw a few years ago was at 7pm enjoying hot steps after the sun had moved away ....I didnt  have the dog with me that day but am still carefull going down stairs there as you would not have seen it till you stepped over it as it was spread out right in the step so both belly and side were warm,it was  only a metre or so .

At least  with the red belly they are very timid and just want to escape ,I know all the dogs bitten had actually attacked the snake so hopefully by keeping my guys on lead in areas where they may hide  I can keep them safe. 

Message 29 of 30
Latest reply

Image result for my dog loves christmas meme

Message 30 of 30
Latest reply