Abstract Art - why talk about it if you don't get it.

I volunteer at a regional gallery and get to meet some wonderful, weird and wacky people.

But the ones that get up my goat are the ones who say "That looks like something a 5 year old would do." and expect me to agree with them.

And whilst we have a lot of community exhibitions that are amateurish enough (so perhaps the comment may be fair enough), the comment is usually reserved for iconic artists in major travelling exhibitions who are extremely well known.

Does anyone here like abstract art? And if you really hate it, why?

Message 1 of 368
Latest reply
367 REPLIES 367

I went to an abstract art exhibition recently, and all i can say is that while it can be very creative using different mediums, i also feel that  the artist doesnt need much talent to achieve the desired result (hence, a 5 yr old could do this)

Abstract paintings require a bit more artistic skill, but unless you're high on drugs or drunk as a skunk, ones interpretation of the *art* can be quite varying and often goes un-noticed. (until you read the title by the artist, then you think to your self **bleep**???)

I'm sure it appeals to a lot of folk.... im not one of them.  🙂

********* *********** *********** ************ ************ *********** ***********
Be Kind To Nurses....
They Stop The Doctors From Killing You.
Message 2 of 368
Latest reply

I like some of it, and hate some of it. 

I go to art museums, and art Galleries several times a year. I went to a gallery just two days ago. They had some abstract pieces there. 

I went to The MOCA(museum of contempary art) last year.  Abstract art is a big part of the stuff that they show there. 

I "get it"... but I might not like it. 

My answer to your question is this: I talk about it because abstract art wants to be talked about. Even if it illicits a negative reaction, the reaction is often the goal. 

I do understand what you mean about the "five year old" comment. That one gets old, and most people could NOT achieve the brilliance of some of the ART shown. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
no siggy
Message 3 of 368
Latest reply

I agree, it's hard to say that you like all abstract art.  Some I love and some means nothing to me.  It's the same with other types of art.  

Saying that it's something that a 5yr old would do is something they should say when they are slouching on the couch watching the tv, not at an art gallery.

Joono
Message 4 of 368
Latest reply

gleee58
Community Member

@i-need-a-martini wrote:

I volunteer at a regional gallery and get to meet some wonderful, weird and wacky people.

But the ones that get up my goat are the ones who say "That looks like something a 5 year old would do." and expect me to agree with them.

And whilst we have a lot of community exhibitions that are amateurish enough (so perhaps the comment may be fair enough), the comment is usually reserved for iconic artists in major travelling exhibitions who are extremely well known.

I like a lot of the abstract art works that I've seen.   I like the patterns, the depth, the colours, the questions. I don't ever recall wondering about the age of the artist although I did take my children to participate in various artists events when they were as young as 5.

Message 5 of 368
Latest reply

I enjoy all forms of art.

Some "art" that gets dubbed abstract is far from being art. take for instance a canvas painted black, totally black, and titled Night, that is not art, it is simply having a "go" as so called 'Art lovers", to highlight just how gullible and stupid some pretentious people can be.

Jackson Pollock's Blue Poles is another example, millions of dollars paid by Australia  for something that resembles a regurgitation of a drunken "artist" after having picked up the wrong pot and instead of drinking booze he drank paint and hurled on the canvas

There are great works of abstract art and then there is a plethora of abstract art that attempts to br passed off as art

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Message 6 of 368
Latest reply

I remember seeing an exhibit in N.Y. that made me leave shaking my head... huh???? 

The artist had 5 tv's from the 90's(not flat screen) sitting on tables. One screen was blue, one red, and one had the black and white static on the screen. I can't remember what the other TV's had on(for sure the screens were blank colors though). In any event, here I am, 5 years later thinking about those stupid TV's. 

At first, I thought the TV's would show video of something. Nope.... just blankness. 

Could a five year old think of that? Sure. Did a five year old think of that? No. The artist has left a lasting impression on me... that until this very moment, I didn't even realize what they did. 

Sometimes art is not meant to hang on walls, or decorate your abode. Art is often a way to bring out some kind of emotion... even if that is a big HUH? 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
no siggy
Message 7 of 368
Latest reply

Yep.. Poddy--he spat out different paints -then rode a push bike over the canvas.

Think the "painting "is still worth a lot of money..not my type of art........................Richo....

Message 8 of 368
Latest reply

TCM walk down any street and you can get confronted with a 100 big HUHs any day of the week. and they are not "created" by artists 🙂

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Message 9 of 368
Latest reply

@i-need-a-martini wrote:

Explain to me why their opionion is not valid. 

Message 10 of 368
Latest reply