Anyone had dealings with council wanting part of your land.

legarlu
Community Member

Just yesterday received a letter from council (not mine) across from my property advising they want to acquire a part of my corner to build a roundabout in 5 months.   I live on a corner semi rural block approx 5 acres where there is an intersection ATM.  What if I don't want to sell some of my land what rights do I have.  The roundabout will create more headlight pollution  as now the vehicles will be veering to the left while coming from the street opposite whereby they come straight through ATM. Not happy Jan.

Message 1 of 14
Latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

i would think it depends on where you live, which state and which council.

usually though you get no real choice unless you can aford to fight it in court. (see The Castle)

start with google search for your state and govt property aquisitions, your rights.

Message 2 of 14
Latest reply

imastawka
Honored Contributor

Unsure of your State, but I think some compensation may be due.

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=guidelines+for+local+governments+-+compulsory+acquisition+of+land...

But you will get a roundabout whether you want one or not - that's why it's called

'Compulsory Acquisition'

edit: David, is it 'the vibe'?

Message 3 of 14
Latest reply

i agree, 99% of the time you lose your land and get less than its real value in compensation, doesnt mean you cant be difficult to work with.

Message 4 of 14
Latest reply

And often there will be something in the title showing potential purchase by council of certain sections when you bought.

But it's for the greater good of the local community isn't it ?

image host
Message 5 of 14
Latest reply

No denying we need it. The amount of vehicles that go straight through the stop sign especially Sunday drivers.  It's only my property not the other 3 corners is being affected . I'm in NSW.

Message 6 of 14
Latest reply

http://www.valuergeneral.nsw.gov.au/compulsory_acquisitions/land_acquisition

A good read.   There are some links on this page re compensation.

Message 7 of 14
Latest reply

You can fight it and waste money and time, both yours and the council's.  How much would you loose from the 5 acres?  Will it make much difference?  Of-course they will pay you for the land, plus you can ask for some things like getting them to plant an instant hedge of 6'plus shrubs to block the headlights, and/ or installing crash rails to prevent cars crashing through your fence on the bend and endangering your livestock , and or 6' Colorbond fence, and/ or anything else you can think of.  Just make a list of how the roundabout would inconvenience you. 

Near here recently when new railway bridge replaced level crossing, the people most affected got the government to remove whole row of very old and tall pine trees, which meant closing one side of the road for best part of the day.  That would have cost him a packet if he had to pay for it, and as the trees were dropping branches it had to be done.

Message 9 of 14
Latest reply

Here is your compensation, a picture of a $5 note.

223fb755daa56809fdf037d5d32596b9.jpg

Message 10 of 14
Latest reply