Assisted Suicide

I was not aware that assisted suicide was allowed by law in some areas of USA.  Oregon is one state which allows it.  Are there any others?

How long before it is allowed here?

This story might be of interest to some.   "The Last Day of Her Life"

nyti.ms/1e7C49r

Message 1 of 26
Latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

Assisted Suicide

Assisted suicide/VOLUNTARY euthanasia is legal in 4 USA states, and under review in many other states..

Some misguided people call it euthanasia.

It is also legal in 5 progressive countries....so far,

Research has shown that 85% of Australians agree that voluntary euthanasia should be legal here

Message 2 of 26
Latest reply

Assisted Suicide

Thank you.  I am aware of the Australian stats.  My generation won't see it.

Neither will the following generations if the comments on changing the marriage laws are equivalently transposed to changing end-of-life laws.

One Liberal Party minister implied that if the marriage law was changed to include same gender couples, it would lead to people wanting to marry their pet animals.  I don't mind that, as long as it is not compulsory.

Message 3 of 26
Latest reply

Assisted Suicide

I don't mind that, as long as it is not compulsory

Woman Surprised

what about the rights of the animals? 

Message 4 of 26
Latest reply

Assisted Suicide

@*julia*2010 wrote:

I don't mind that, as long as it is not compulsory

Woman Surprised

what about the rights of the animals? 

I have no problem with assisted suicide in cases of terminal disease or other extreme conditions.

as long as it's not compulsory.

Message 5 of 26
Latest reply

Assisted Suicide

It will come.  

It wasn't too long ago that suicide was a crime.  The major political parties seem to be behind the electorate on laws pertaining to social issues.  The current debate on same sex marriage is a case in point.  The majority of the electorate supports same sex marriage (http://www.australianmarriageequality.org/who-supports-equality/a-majority-of-australians-support-ma...) yet the major parties do not support it.  Same sex marriage is contrary to LNP policy and ALP policy is merely to allow a conscience vote.

As far as I am aware neither of the major parties favour assisted suicide.  I think we will have to wait for the current crop of politicians to die off (natural causes only) before these odd laws based on so called Christian values are repealed.

Message 6 of 26
Latest reply

Assisted Suicide

I am inordinately proud to live in Oregon, the originator of "Death With Dignity" laws.  The good citizens really had to fight the Feds to get this law instituted, and it took a SCOTUS decision to finally guarantee it's acceptance.

http://www.deathwithdignity.org/access-acts

Message 7 of 26
Latest reply

Assisted Suicide

@aftanas wrote:

It will come.  

It wasn't too long ago that suicide was a crime.  The major political parties seem to be behind the electorate on laws pertaining to social issues.  The current debate on same sex marriage is a case in point.  The majority of the electorate supports same sex marriage (http://www.australianmarriageequality.org/who-supports-equality/a-majority-of-australians-support-ma...) yet the major parties do not support it.  Same sex marriage is contrary to LNP policy and ALP policy is merely to allow a conscience vote.

As far as I am aware neither of the major parties favour assisted suicide.  I think we will have to wait for the current crop of politicians to die off (natural causes only) before these odd laws based on so called Christian values are repealed.

http://www.pewforum.org/2013/11/21/religious-groups-views-on-end-of-life-issues/

Careful.... it appears the hem of your PP (prejudiced petticoat) is showing

The Assemblies of God, the largest Pentecostal denomination in the United States, opposes physician-assisted suicide and euthanasia.

Buddhism

According to Damien Keown, emeritus professor of Buddhist ethics at Goldsmiths College, University of London, Buddhists generally oppose assisted suicide and euthanasia. Buddhism teaches that it is morally wrong to destroy human life, including one’s own, he says, even if the intention is to end suffering.

Catholicism

The Roman Catholic Church strongly opposes physician-assisted suicide and euthanasia. The church teaches that life should not be prematurely shortened because it is a gift from God,

Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Mormon Church)

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints opposes physician-assisted suicide and euthanasia, believing that taking one’s own life or the life of another violates God’s commandments and his plan for each person.

Evangelical Lutheran Church in America

The Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) opposes physician-assisted suicide and other efforts by medical professionals to speed a patient’s death

Episcopal Church

In 1991, the Episcopal Church passed a resolution against assisted suicide and other forms of active euthanasia, stating that it is “morally wrong and unacceptable to take a human life in order to relieve the suffering caused by incurable illness

Hinduism

While there is no formal Hindu teaching on assisted suicide or euthanasia, there is a general concern in Hinduism that prematurely ending a person’s life could negatively impact their karma, says Deepak Sarma, a professor of South Asian religions and philosophy at Case Western Reserve University in Cleveland.

Islam

Islamic teachings oppose physician-assisted suicide and euthanasia. “Muslims believe that life is sacred and comes from God; therefore it is a sin to take life,” says David Stephen Powers, a professor of Near Eastern studies at Cornell University in Ithaca, N.Y

Judaism

Under Jewish law, the directive to preserve human life generally outweighs other considerations, including the desire to alleviate pain and suffering.

National Baptist Convention

The National Baptist Convention, the largest historically black Protestant denomination in the United States, does not have a specific teaching on physician-assisted suicide or euthanasia

Presbyterian Church U.S.A.

The Presbyterian Church U.S.A. has examined theological questions related to end-of-life issues, but the denomination has not taken specific positions or provided guidance on assisted suicide or euthanasia.

Seventh-day Adventist Church

In 1992, the Seventh-day Adventist Church issued a statement opposing euthanasia and assisted suicide.

Southern Baptist Convention

The Southern Baptist Convention, the nation’s largest Protestant denomination, has issued a number of resolutions on physician-assisted suicide, euthanasia and related topics. The resolutions are not calls to action but rather “expression[s] of opinion or concern,”

United Church of Christ

The United Church of Christ supports the right of terminally ill patients to make their own decisions about when to die – including whether to hasten death.

Unitarian Universalist Association

In 1988, the Unitarian Universalist Association of Congregations (UUA) passed a resolution advocating “the right to self-determination in dying.”

United Methodist Church

The United Methodist Church opposes physician-assisted suicide. The denomination teaches that “dying well” is an integral part of Christian life, says James Thobaben, a professor of bioethics and social ethics at the Asbury Theological Seminary in Wilmore, Ky.

atheism is a non prophet organization
Message 8 of 26
Latest reply

Assisted Suicide

@freshwater-2 wrote:

Assisted suicide/VOLUNTARY euthanasia is legal in 4 USA states, and under review in many other states..

Some misguided people call it euthanasia.

It is also legal in 5 progressive countries....so far,

Research has shown that 85% of Australians agree that voluntary euthanasia should be legal here

Can I ask, why you made that statement?
.... whats makes them misguided?

********* *********** *********** ************ ************ *********** ***********
Be Kind To Nurses....
They Stop The Doctors From Killing You.
Message 9 of 26
Latest reply

Assisted Suicide

And yet, it is happening and has happened for many years.

30 years ago my mother-in-law was a the end stage of terminal cancer. She was in agony and often delirious The Doctors decided to increase the dosage of Morphine gradually. Few hours later, she passed away peacefully.

25 Years ago my dear father had a massive brain heamorage. He was at my home at that time. When the Doctor arrived (who was a friend of my father and knew him well.) he told me that he could call the Ambulance to take my father to Hospital, but that there was nothing Doctors could do. If they savd his life, he would be a vegetable, depending on life support.

I knew that my highly intelligent father never wanted to be kept in such state and asked the Doctor to go by my fathers wishes.

After giving my father an injection, while I held him in my arms, the Doctor waited a little time, then told me that I could let go of my father, he had peacefully gone.

Most Doctors are strictly following the rules, especially today where many try to sue Doctors and Hospitals.

Some Doctors are compassionate enough to know what torture it can be to keep a terminally ill person alive.

Erica

Message 10 of 26
Latest reply