BLOKES THREAD-aimed at blokes-shielas welcome.

Seems to be a lack of threads for blokes.
On other threads,some ladies have mentioned, their OHs
would post, but had no interest in most of the threads on offer.
I can bump this thead twice a day,so its easy to find.
Give it a go---Richo.
Message 1 of 98,233
Latest reply
98,232 REPLIES 98,232

Re: BLOKES THREAD-aimed at blokes-shielas welcome.

Screenshot (2).png

Message 93501 of 98,233
Latest reply

Thanks Sandy.

Now I want to know what the treasured possessions are.

I can see the bugle, but can't make out the other things.

Name of the book?

Linda hasn't posted for a while.

Hope she's ok with her new eye     

Message 93502 of 98,233
Latest reply

It was a loving, funny, sincere, and slightly wicked send-off.

Richo was very vividly described, and you could see what a cheeky good-looking devil he was as a young man. Obviously he carried through those qualities right up until his last day on earth.

I was touched by how many of those photos showed Richo with a child in his arms - sitting, standing, there he was. A sort-of Pied Piper, except that the children were just there on his lap or in his arms, rather than following him through streets...

The memories retold were so apt. Ben, if you are reading, you can be proud of having done justice to your dad, and I'm sure that all of Richo's descendants will carry the legacy of his wit and humour and mateship throughout their lives.

It was also a pleasure to see Richo's friends Whip and Webby, who I know (from reading on this thread) have been there from day 1, staying in touch, catching up, and providing help and companionship.

Linda, I hope you are all right. Please post if you can, and hopefully the mist has already started to dissipate from your eye.

Message 93503 of 98,233
Latest reply

Good morning everyone.

I thought Eric Idle set the tone very nicely - it was a fine send off.

Wet - wet - wet & more wet here.

Boo Boo Boutique day - she gets to have fun with friends - lucky dog. lol

Look forward to hearing from Linda.

Message 93504 of 98,233
Latest reply

Good morning everyone.  I hope you are all feeling well now our richo is at peace.

Unfortunately I have had a message from Linda that she can no longer post here because

her friend and mentor is no longer here.

Linda has chatted with richo much longer than most of us and he has helped her through

her husband's illness and subsequent death and many other personal struggles and she

can't deal with him no longer being here.  I hope Linda finds peace and knows richo is now

resting in peace and as Ben said, would like his thread to continue.

Also, Linda's eye operation was not a success and at some stage they are going to try again,

maybe at the same time they do one of the cataract ops.  That would be a terrible disappointment

to someone who loves reading.  I wonder if she has considered the talking books.

Keep well (and warm) everyone.  Even though we are well away from Sydney, we have to wear masks

but I will be keeping inside away from any wandering cases.

Message 93505 of 98,233
Latest reply

Re: the memorabilia used.

He had his well worn Akubra hat and a slab of VB on the coffin. He will be cremated with the VB in case he gets thirsty.
There was a mug with a love heart handle that said "I love Dad" that he was given by Tina and I for fathers day about 35 years ago. He still had it in the cupboard.
His infamous bugle.
Two stubbie holders that were specially made by the Australia Day weekend crew for past trips.
A random old book just to symbolise his love of old books. He has placed a rough price guide in all of his books. We didn't want to use an expensive book just in case something happened to it. He has some really good ones. The first book we pulled off the shelf to use had "WORTHLESS" written in it and that was what we used.
A trench art brass aeroplane.
A collectable VB can. 

Thanks for the thoughts and well wishes. I understand that some of you do not wish to post here anymore and I respect that, but I encourage any that do want to continue, to do so.

Message 93506 of 98,233
Latest reply

Thanks for posting Ben.  

It was a good selection of personal items that suited the bloke to a T.

I'm glad he's done the hard yards for you and given you a price guide for his beloved books.   I know he spent a lot of time organising them into categories.

I remember you have your own collection from what Richo has said in the past - railway bridges?

But you sure have a big job ahead of you, sorting it all out.  He probably has his contacts written down somewhere.

You did him proud with his send off.  Hope it was a good knees up at the RSL - or as I call it The Rissole.

Much like Linda, the chair's been kicked out from under me.  Don't know how much posting I will be doing in the near future.

I hope Linda's health improves, and I thank Sandy for posting the info - stay well, Sandy. 💕

Message 93507 of 98,233
Latest reply

Thank you Ben - Richo was so very proud of you.

I suppose it is now what all feel comfortable with - personally I think he would want his thread to continue.

The chair has certainly lost it's wheels - but - what would Richo prefer - to fade away - or remain a thread where simple daily sharing takes place. ?

His loss has hit all very deeply & hard - so we'll just - see.

Message 93508 of 98,233
Latest reply

I'm so sorry that Linda won't be posting here any more. We can only wish her all of the very best and hopefully the next round of surgery will do the trick with her eyes.

Audiobooks are a wonderful way to feed the appetite for books. It does make a difference whether the narrator is good or bad. (I hope Linda feels free to PM me if recommendations are needed; I know quite a bit about which are the best narrators and so on.)

I have to grin a little at the idea of Richo rolling up to heaven's gates, saying, "I'll swap you this fantastic book for an entry ticket." The guardian of the gate would probably reply along the lines of "That sounds like a fair deal. We  haven't had any new reading material here for ages; most of the dead don't bother to bring a book with them. Okay, here's your ticket - come on in!" ... and as Richo saunters towards a comfortable armchair, his slab of VB tucked under his arm, the guardian/angel opens up the book and mutters, "Worthless... Worthless? HEY, COME BACK HERE!"

Message 93509 of 98,233
Latest reply

I hope also that Linda is well and maybe one day pop's back in, but we all deal with grief in our own ways.

I am crying my eyes out reading all these replies, especially Ben's, and while I don't always have much to say, I really want to see Richo make the 100000 and do him and the rest of you proud.

xx

Message 93510 of 98,233
Latest reply