Brighton siege

Melbourne police launch terror probe after deadly stand-off with Holsworthy plot gunman

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-06-06/islamic-state-claims-responsibility-for-brighton-siege/8591540

i heard our wonderful PM asking how was it this guy was out on the streets?

well mr PM, you said it yourself, he had a trial and was aquitted.

he had been in prison, served his time and had been released on parole.

isnt this exactly how our westminster system works?

if we start throwing people in jail for ever for something we think they might do in the future, well we will need a lot of new prisons, very BIG prisons.

i in no way condone this mans actions, but just what kind of place will australia be if we start locking up people with no evidence or trial?

Maybe to try to avoid terror attacks, the PM should make a speech apologizing for australias involvment in a war not sanctioned by the united nation that caused the deaths of thousands if not millions of innocent people. and pull our troops out of countries they have no business being in!

then start sending aid including money to the govts of those countries to try to repair the damage australia caused....no amount of aid and money can bring back the children, the mothers or fathers, brothers and sisters killed of course.

we should learn from our mistakes not just blindly continue along the same road.

we reap what we sow.

Message 1 of 34
Latest reply
33 REPLIES 33

Brighton siege

I was just driving down there an hour earlier yesterday.    Sleepy, pretty, Brighton and Bay street.  

Do we know if he was a lone wolf or not?  I think a lot of these killers  use the excuse of THe Cause to justify their inner hatred and desire to kill.   

When nutters have the lust for blood it can be impossible to prevent i think.

Message 2 of 34
Latest reply

Brighton siege

David, he was out on parole, which means he didn't serve the full length of his sentence.

Message 3 of 34
Latest reply

Brighton siege

@simone4010 wrote:

David, he was out on parole, which means he didn't serve the full length of his sentence.

i do understand how the parole system works

there are plenty of examples where its failed dismally, like this one. but whats the alternative?

he served his time required 'behind bars', was released on parole like thousands of other criminals every year. was doing all that was required of him. until he killed someone and took another hostage.

like i said, whats the alternative?

yep, everything said he might be a danger to society, but unfortunately we dont lock people up because they 'might' do something.

otherwise we would lock up stacks of ex husbands, ex boyfriends, ex wives and ex girlfriends. ect ect

i just cant see what the govt can do other than erode our freedoms until we have none all in the hope we are protected and safe.

Message 4 of 34
Latest reply

Brighton siege

@bright.ton42 wrote:

I was just driving down there an hour earlier yesterday.    Sleepy, pretty, Brighton and Bay street.  

Do we know if he was a lone wolf or not?  I think a lot of these killers  use the excuse of THe Cause to justify their inner hatred and desire to kill.   

When nutters have the lust for blood it can be impossible to prevent i think.

I don't think we can write him off as a lone wolf and in any case, isn't that exactly what ISIS is trying to encourage? Lone attacks by their supporters?

This man though had prior form for trying to attack an army base plus:

It is believed Khayre had fought in Somalia with Somali militant group al-Shabab, completing explosives and firearm training.

We might call him a nutter but he was definitely a man with form.

Actually what I'd like to know is if he was even a citizen here.

What I would like to see is citizenship come with a 10 year Probationary period. Commit a serious crime and the citizenship is automatically revoked.

If he is a non citizen he should have been deported before this.

Message 5 of 34
Latest reply

Brighton siege

Non-citizens get deported after min 2 years jail time, I think

Message 6 of 34
Latest reply

Brighton siege

Wonder how much jail time he did?

I found that it's 12 months jail, and you get deported

- The Law Handbook -

The deportation order or cancellation decision is usually signed during a term of imprisonment or immediately upon the expiration of a term of imprisonment. In practice only those who have committed offences punishable by more than 12 months imprisonment are deported or removed.

http://www.lawhandbook.org.au/12_01_12_removal_and_deportation/

Message 7 of 34
Latest reply

Brighton siege

on the news they are calling this guy a terrorist, but although i'm sure those directly involved were terrorised i dont see how you call a single guy killing one person and taking 1 hostage then shooting at police to get himself killed a terror attack in the true meaning of terror attacks.

if he had driven a car into a crowd of people then started shooting people that would be a terror attack.

this seems more like he just went off on the spur of the moment, maybe he was on drugs?

he didnt kill the hostage which id expect a true terrorist to do. they said he came out of the building shooting at police so they killed him.

monis took over a business, held a large group hostage, ranted for hours then shot a hostage. quite different in my view.

Message 8 of 34
Latest reply

Brighton siege

Just a simple question David,

Do you enjoy or see anything good - in the world you live in.

Just a question.

Message 9 of 34
Latest reply

Brighton siege

Just on the news right now ...

He was an ice user (or ex ice user not sure, who would know?)

His neighbours in Roxburgh where he lived with his mother said he was a nice polite guy

Yes he had form alright

Malcolm Turnbull and Bill Shorten ask .... how was he on parole?

So many imponderables. 

Who is to know his reasons?

Message 10 of 34
Latest reply