Can Supermarkets Place A Purchase Limit On An Item?

I always thought they couldn't, my local IGA manager tell me they can   ... Anyone know the law regarding this pls?

Message 1 of 16
Latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

I don't know the exact 'rules' legally, but I have seen this many,many times

Message 2 of 16
Latest reply

imastawka
Honored Contributor

Bushie, I believe that they can introduce it into their own T & C's

They had to limit purchase of baby formula a couple of years ago or

there would've been none to purchase.

The Chinese were buying it all and sending it back to China due to their own formula

killing babies.

It's also to stop smaller businesses from depleting the shelves, I think.

Message 3 of 16
Latest reply

TY     .... Seems I was mistaken   

Message 4 of 16
Latest reply

A retail business can also refuse entry to anyone they wish.

Not that they would refuse you bushies. Smiley Very Happy Maybe the red carpet for you ?

image host
Message 5 of 16
Latest reply

I don't know the legal situation exactly but as I understand it, they aren't under an obligation to sell anything to a person at all. They can refuse to sell an item eg if it had been incorrectly priced.

I have seen a lot of places Including supermarkets) put limits on the amount a person can buy of any particular item. Baby formula was a big one & I think there are still issues with some brands. My grandson is turning one & recently started formula & my daughter said her preferred brand is often unavailable at her supermarket.

Message 6 of 16
Latest reply

@bushies.girl wrote:

I always thought they couldn't, my local IGA manager tell me they can   ... Anyone know the law regarding this pls?

BG, I think they can dictate certain aspects of their trading conditions.

I was told that during the construction of Hamilton Island (not the island just the tourist things and the runway) a few greenies tried to have it stopped. When the greenies tried to do their shopping on the mainland for food etc the shopkeepers would tell them that they were about to close - even at 1 and 2 pm. Seems like the shop owners have some control over their rules and regs.

Message 7 of 16
Latest reply

I won't sell Jo a newspaperSmiley Tongue

Message 8 of 16
Latest reply

I think it's up to the state (via consumer laws)......I don't think it's legal in S.A.. I have been unable to find anything, though
Message 9 of 16
Latest reply

Aha ! now I know what 'clean up in aisle 8' REALLY means....it's code for troublemaker in aisle 8  Smiley LOL

Message 10 of 16
Latest reply