Canada under attack

ladydeburg
Community Member
65 REPLIES 65

Re: Canada under attack

Paulson said the RCMP learned on Wednesday after speaking to his mother that Zehaf-Bibeau intended to travel to Syria.

Paulson also said on Thursday that Zehaf-Bibeau’s email address was “found in the hard drive” of a Canadian who was charged by the RCMP with a terror-related crime.

He said investigators were still working to understand the connection, if there was any, between to the two radicalised Canadian nationals. “When we say a connection it is sort of the weakest of connections,” Paulson said. “Clearly, given what’s happened, it’s strengthened.”

the guardian

Message 61 of 66
Latest reply

@**dirty.girl** wrote:

If September 11 2001 wasn't a wake up call, several lone shootings in Canada won't dig someone's head out of the sand 😉

But 9/11 did not happen in Canada.

My point was that until something happens in your own backyard it does not have the same impact as even a more minor attack on home territory..

The world was horrified by 9/11 but it was all still a bit 'but it did not happen here" until I talked to people who had been there.

Message 62 of 66
Latest reply

Do you really think so Lyndal.  I personally thought that everyone was in a whole heap of trouble after 9/11.  

I just think that if something like that happens to the US then it happens to the whole world.

Joono
Message 63 of 66
Latest reply

But the rest of the world does not have the history of antagonising as many countries as the US does.  The US is always going to be a target for any country/organisation that takes issue with their policies.

I think it did take a while for the ramifications of 9/11 to sink in for the rest of the world.  By the time it was all analysed and dissected the attacks were starting in other countries and this helped reinforce the lessons learned on 9/11

Canada has been relatively free of terrorism on home territory even though they are committing troops and support overseas so I do believe that it has shaken them out of a degree of complacency.

This is not just my take on the situation....my husbands nephews live in Seattle Washington and his cousins are scattered throughout Canada so we have had feedback from several areas of the country.

Message 64 of 66
Latest reply

But the rest of the world does not have the history of antagonising as many countries as the US does.

Countries that support the US (in the war against ISIS in Iraq & Syria) like Canada and Australia are targets too now though.

Bali terrorist attack 2002 - 88 Australians killed.

Message 65 of 66
Latest reply

Very true, but the point I am trying to make is that when it actually happens on home territory it hits home to many people in a way that no amount of attacks in other countries can.

People who come to discussion boards probably don't need a wake up call....they are well read and can reason it out for themselves.  But there are a heck of a lot of people out there who take little notice of what is happening outside their immediate communities.  They need to see it happening on TV in their own country.

Message 66 of 66
Latest reply