Cashless Welfare Card

moonflyte
Community Member

Could this be the end of the tragedy of alcohol fueled violence and child neglect.

A cashless welfare card aimed at stemming alcohol abuse would be rolled out across the country under a welfare reform the Turnbull government is considering taking to the election.

As regional trouble spots line up to be chosen for trials of the government’s new Healthy Welfare Card to begin next month, The Australian understands the Coalition may seek an election mandate to extend the card to welfare recipients across regional Australia if they achieve positive results.

Under the new system — proposed by mining magnate ­Andrew Forrest in his review of the welfare system in 2014 — 80 per cent of a person’s government payment would be ­quarantined to a bank card that could not be used to buy alcohol and gambling products, nor ­converted to cash.

The remaining 20 per cent could be accessible as cash.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/national-affairs/national-cashless-welfare-card-plan-by-turnbull-gov...

Message 1 of 218
Latest reply
217 REPLIES 217

Re: Cashless Welfare Card

moonflyte
Community Member

Riots in  the streets? that’s a bit of an overreaction. If people want to drink, smoke and gamble that’s their choice but remember who’s paying for it and it may very well be the taxpayers who riot in the streets.

Message 71 of 218
Latest reply

esayaf
Community Member
It's that kind of attitude that fuels the prejudice. It's not your money any more once the government takes it off of you and it's not the government's money after they've given it away
Message 72 of 218
Latest reply

So how does that work?

remember who is paying for it, well what about people who have worked and paid tax, now all of a sudden find themselves out of a job , and now find themselves  dependant on benifits are they not entitled to get  some of their tax back that they had paid when they worked?

Fair crack of the whip.

Message 73 of 218
Latest reply

@esayaf wrote:
It's that kind of attitude that fuels the prejudice. It's not your money any more once the government takes it off of you and it's not the government's money after they've given it away

I was following your arguments up until now and agreed with quite a few things you said, but sorry you just lost me on this one.

I dont think there are many workers who would accept that they need to work extra hours for free to provide gambling money, drug money  or excessive alchohol for those who either cant or wont work. 

The Government has also made it very clear that this is not what welfare payments are designed to be used for. Tax payers, Governments and welfare recipients have all entered a social covenment. This covenant is to provide basic neccesities for those who cant provide for themselves. We can argue about the level of support that should be provided but not the purpose of that support.

The majoriy of welfare recipients use the money given to them for the purposes that it was provided. ( Lets face it, once most pay the rent, utilities and basic food, theres nothing left anyway. )

Your suggestion that it is a welfare recipients right to neglect their kids and gamble welfare payments away, or spend it on ice or dope ( its not taxpayers money or the Governments money after they give it to the welfare recipient ) is the exactly the reason the card idea has been suggested. It is exactly this attitude which is forcing the Government to consider the cards.

Message 74 of 218
Latest reply

esayaf
Community Member
At no point did I say that they have a right to neglect their children and gamble or take drugs.
Message 75 of 218
Latest reply

esayaf
Community Member
I would never mention rights except to lament the lack of a bill of rights for every Australian.
Something that neither major party is prepared to give us
Message 76 of 218
Latest reply

esayaf
Community Member
Oh, by the way your use of such a highly emotive statement kind of diminished a logical argument
Message 77 of 218
Latest reply

esayaf
Community Member
So it's goodbye from me. Can't argue with emotional rubbish
Message 78 of 218
Latest reply

@esayaf wrote:

Your argument is that once the government gives taxpayers money to welfare rcipients, it is theirs to do with as they please. There are many welfare recipients who choose to spend welfare on gambling, drugs and excessive alcohol consumption, often at the expense of other family members ( often children. ). This is their right according to the above post.

Message 79 of 218
Latest reply

esayaf
Community Member
I recall saying in my second post I don't know the answer to solving these problems but the cashless card isn't it.
I was beaten by my father every day nearly and he had a job and didn't work.
so I don't endorse violence or neglect. I don't believe my statement is an endorsement of the activities that you have mentioned. My point is that plenty of working people also engage in the activities you mentioned but the government is seemingly only interested in punishing all welfare recipients as is the general public for a community wide problem by stigmatising all welfare recipients.
I'll say again I don't know the answer, it would seem no one does but this card isn't it it is just a blatant vote grab by jumping on the welfare recipient bashing band wagon.
How about you come up with an answer to solve this problem for the whole community rather than twisting my words and making me the bad guy in this debate.
You are just attacking me now not the issue
Message 80 of 218
Latest reply