Celebration of Masks

While we must wear masks, let's make the best of it.

• I would have loved to sport a dramatic mask with black lace and rubies embellishing the stark covering of nose and mouth, but the hygiene issue prevents me from going any further than emitting a wistful sigh.
  • However, there's absolutely nothing to prevent Victorians (in particular the women of Victoria, as I'm not a fan of guyliner) to give their eyes some grand treatment with mascara, the cat-eye look, shimmering eyeshadow, well-defined eyebrows, etc.
  • We save on lipstick.
  • We also save on foundation.
  • We've become experts on how to avoid glasses-fog. (I hope we have, at any rate.)
  • We bear the wounds of our masks with dignity - the tender spot behind the ears, those tell-tale criss-cross marks on the cheeks...
  • We saunter, rather than run, to avoid fainting from heat exhaustion while wearing the masks out in public.
  • We could match the mask fabric to our clothing to make an eye-catching designer ensemble.
  • If a sudden impulse arises to commit a mugging, we're already in disguise.
  • If sudden superpowers flood through us, we're already in disguise.

DISCLOSURE: I'll candidly admit that I have frequently failed to take the opportunity to glamourise my eyes. Ah, the missed opportunities...

I'll also candidly admit that I haven't accessoried my mask; I tend simply to wear the close-fitting plain white N95s.

Message 1 of 16
Latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Celebration of Masks

Also...

• You can verbally abuse someone, plead innocent and get away with it. Smiley Wink
Message 2 of 16
Latest reply

Celebration of Masks

imastawka
Honored Contributor

Muslim women have been glamourising their eyes for years.

Making them very dramatic.

I've always admired the way they can make such theatrical eyes.

hijab and niqab Girl Eyes ,Hijab Girl Eye makeup OMG such a Beautiful eyes  (must watch!!!) - YouTube

Message 3 of 16
Latest reply

Celebration of Masks

The eyes are gorgeous indeed.

My second thought - when I look at those images - is "But there's room for the virus to get in through the gaps!"

My third thought is "Imagine having to alcohol-wipe the jewels, every single time..."

That sort of glamourisation works best for young eyes. The dramatic look must be, I suspect, harder to pull off if there's eyeliner being caught in crows'-feet and wrinkles. (And we'll all get to that point sooner or later, unless we perish before the onset of wrinkles - or become petrified - or have plastic surgery - or have the most magnificent angi-aging DNA...)

Message 4 of 16
Latest reply

Celebration of Masks

I'm lucky. I don't care what I look like. And I'm in a place where masks aren't even recommended, much less mandatory, so everybody gets to see my ugly mug.

Message 5 of 16
Latest reply

Celebration of Masks

This is Vera Wang's 71st Birthday pic :

images - 2020-11-15T175622.838.jpeg

Message 6 of 16
Latest reply

Celebration of Masks

Gimme a break!   Noice bit of staging there.

Can't see the bags under the eyes, nor the 'tuck-shop lady' arms flappin'

Vera Wang 2016 Pictures, Photos & Images - ZimbioVera Wang says secret to abs at 70 is vodka, sleep, and 'not much sun' -  Insider

Message 7 of 16
Latest reply

Celebration of Masks

boy laughing at dad after putting surgical mask in eyes - funny surgical masks stock pictures, royalty-free photos & images

Message 8 of 16
Latest reply

Celebration of Masks

There was a thing on Face Book cant put it here

Moan about wearing a mask, how would you like to be on rations have to hide under the stairs or in a bunker with bombs going off over head.

Sending you young sons to war.

Sending your children to live with strangers for their safety

Our parents where strong people

Who are these sooks who boo hoo about a mask, whinge because that cant go to the pub ??? 

Message 9 of 16
Latest reply

Celebration of Masks

@imastawka wrote:

Gimme a break!   Noice bit of staging there.

Can't see the bags under the eyes, nor the 'tuck-shop lady' arms flappin'

Vera Wang 2016 Pictures, Photos & Images - ZimbioVera Wang says secret to abs at 70 is vodka, sleep, and 'not much sun' -  Insider

LOL - she thought it worth a try,

Message 10 of 16
Latest reply