Cost of living (Nov 2022)

I know that the cost of living has risen over the years, but sharply in the latter half of 2022, so I thought we could post helpful tips for easing these costs.

I don’t want this thread to become a blame game about who caused what to increase the cost of living, just hints to help those who may be struggling.

Post your suggestions here, or post your experiences if trying the suggestions.

Message 1 of 91
Latest reply
90 REPLIES 90

Re: Cost of living (Nov 2022)

When I can (usually my hours at work get in the way…. Or lately, extreme flooding 😫), I will shop at farmers market. I will buy IN ENORMOUS BULK, my veggies and anything else that might be on special, like large bottles of olive oil. (2 for price of one, for eg) 

I will come home, and cook every vegetable. The whole lot.  Dish them out into prepared containers of what I would eat at each meal, and then freeze. At dinner time, just add meat. 
I usually end up with around 40-50 Chinese containers of meals of vegetables. 

Saves time and saves money. No wasted veg going wrinkly in the fridge draw, and helping out our local farmers at the same time. I make my own bread and have even made my own milk (almond milk) 😆 lol.  Not everyone’s cup of tea, but I love it. 

530BF6CD-F90E-4418-AD77-D4226AA9CD91.jpeg

********* *********** *********** ************ ************ *********** ***********
Be Kind To Nurses....
They Stop The Doctors From Killing You.
Message 11 of 91
Latest reply

🤔  Wondering how you milk an almond.

Great ideas there, Jane.

I also make my own bread...and variations of yeasty delights

Message 12 of 91
Latest reply

She gets up very early.

images (6) - 2022-12-02T144447.828.jpeg

Message 13 of 91
Latest reply

ALDI have a one year SIM for $5

https://www.aldimobile.com.au/collections/payg

Gives you $5 credit, but charges for calls, SMS and data @

- calls 12c per minute

- standard SMS 12c each

- MMS 35c each

- data 5c per MB

You can top up, and keep the number if you top up again just before the one year is up.

This is a great plan that I have for my second mobile.   My wife and I give that number out when buying online or on raffle tickets.  This protects my main mobile from nuisance or fraud.

Not sure about transferring a number from another carrier on this $5 plan.

This is a great way to get a mobike service for use on an old phone.  Total cost if you don't use data and only use it to receive text and calls is $5 for a year.

Screenshot_20221202-151216_Chrome.jpg

Message 14 of 91
Latest reply

something I forgot to mention about the ALDI mobile plans . . . they operate on the Telstra network BUT can not connect to 5G

(I must have Old Timer's)

Message 15 of 91
Latest reply

Do you have a thermomix?

I only ask because you mention making almond milk and every demo I have been to, they talk about making it.

I have a thermie but never have (made almond milk, that is). Mainly as 2 of the grandkids have nut allergies so I don't use it. I once made some bolognese with a store bought sauce and one of the girls came up with a reaction almost immediately-blotches and swelling. Turns out there was 2% cashews in the sauce. I had never even suspected there would be nuts in a bolognese sauce. These days I check everything.

But I do make my own caster and icing sugar. I don't suppose it is a huge saving but it is convenient.

I also see people on Facebook groups who get marvellous bargains with marked down cream and make their own butter etc.

I don't know where they live but that is never me. Hardly anything has much of a mark down around here. Maybe 10% off if we are lucky.

Message 16 of 91
Latest reply

I don’t have a thermie, but I do have almost everything else.  

The appliance I use most would have to be my nutrabullet.  

I have also made my own butter and it’s heaps cheaper than buying store bought. And…tastes heaps better too. Plus, you have the buttermilk left over to add to your cake mix for extra moist cakes 😋  I make the butter in my KitchenAid.  I have some wonderful flavoured butter recipes, so very easy. Great for cooking. 

A Nurse at work has a peanut allergy, yet she can eat almonds and cashews…. Go figure 🙂

I get most of my recipes and money saving ideas from YouTube.  I love YouTube.  

❤️

I’ve even made washing powder and dish washing tablets. 😂

********* *********** *********** ************ ************ *********** ***********
Be Kind To Nurses....
Message 17 of 91
Latest reply

Almonds and cashews are tree nuts - peanuts grow underground, and are considered a legume, not a nut.

Message 18 of 91
Latest reply

@imastawka wrote:

Almonds and cashews are tree nuts - peanuts grow underground, and are considered a legume, not a nut.

Edited…. Because today is not the day!!! 😡

Be Kind To Nurses....
Message 19 of 91
Latest reply

Aww, c'mon Jane. 

You can tell me - I won't mind.

Tell me tomorrow then

Message 20 of 91
Latest reply