Customer Service

Tonight on my way home from work, I stopped off at the local Post Office agency to post some things to a friend about 150km away.  As I'd been in BigW earlier in the day, I'd already bought a tough envelope and packaged it up before I got there.  Once there, the girl behind the counter took the envelope and measured it on the cardboard thingy which was under the counter (I couldn't see it) and told me it was too big, it would have to go as a parcel.  Fair enough, she weighed it and told me it would be just under $7.  As I was paying her, I asked her how much too big the envelope was, because it seemed pointless buying those particular ones if the postage was going to be extra.  She got the guide out and showed me, seriously, it was probably about 2mm too wide.

However, I get that, it was too wide.  So I asked her how much it would have been if the envelope had been a little bit smaller - again, trying to weigh up if it was worth buying those envelopes - I don't post much!!  She then tells me it would have been $1.80.  Another shopkeeper had come over as she was showing me how much too big it was and said very kindly to me "next time, just fold it over a little bit to make it fit and stick it down".  I know this girl from being in the shop a lot and I said (not being rude, just chatting) "I wish I'd been told that before I'd paid this time!" at which the first girl who had served me said "Well, I didn't know, did I?"

I understand she may well have not known, we all learn things bit by bit, but was it really necessary for her to speak to like that?  A simple "I'm sorry, I didn't realise" and I would not have given it another thought.  I think I'm turning into a grumpy old woman Smiley LOL

Rant over!!

Precious Heart

Message 1 of 32
Latest reply
31 REPLIES 31

Re: Customer Service

No, you are just asking for the respect you should get as a customer, the days of good customer relations is almost gone. Asking a legitimate question is acceptable, offering a smart A remark is not.

Keep it nice, I might cry if you write anything upsetting (like not)
Message 21 of 32
Latest reply

fully agree with roserobin and youcandoit

Message 22 of 32
Latest reply

I don't mind greeters anywhere, and in banks where I rarely go appreciate it.  Not all of us are so savvy.

Also in KMart there was a greeter there yesterday who I rreally welcomed as it's a huge place and it was good 

to get a straightforward direction instead of trawling round the store.  I don't consider it accosting, just 

helpful.  Each to his/her own. 

Message 23 of 32
Latest reply

I get really anoyed with these greeters when there is a long que of people waiting and have suggested the best help they could be was to get in a teller box and serve a few people.

Even last night at the local Kmart I walked up to the check out where two check out operators were working, one they shut up and walked away leaving a que with more people waiting then there were in the store, I placed my items on the closed check out as I walked out the door, and these stores wonder why sales are down. 

Message 24 of 32
Latest reply

I get really anoyed with these greeters when there is a long que of people waiting and have suggested the best help they could be was to get in a teller box and serve a few people.

yep, exactly.

yesty there was no greeter in the bank. don't know if they gave it up cos hubby (and probably some other people were not amused and told them so) or if it depends on the day/time.

Message 25 of 32
Latest reply

If you have a Bank account  you should have sufficient knowledge to know that general transactions are to be done at the Tellers counter. The person asking you is being courteous as there are many people who do not know whether to go to the service counter of the tellers counter.

Also each individual teller generally has their own log in , so it is not that easy for someone to just jump on "the counter"

It is not a profound lack of manners, unless someone is being disprespectful. The reason they are asking the people behind you is to ascertain if one is in the wrong queue r if they have a transaction or request that does not require a teller. Yes I know what I said about general transactions but all too often people with cheque deposits can drop the cheques in an express deposit box rather than standing in line.

Customer service relates to the manner in which you are treated by an organisation. It does not mean that those working for Banks or any organisation are required to listen to the sarcastic and sometimes rude comments customers make.

Message 26 of 32
Latest reply

yes they are and its not because of the number of products available it is because business bankers receive diff training to personal bankers. And seriously with all the legislation around biz accounts the separation is required. ๐Ÿ™‚
Message 27 of 32
Latest reply

well in Woolies the staff ask if they can help you with the self serv and then leave you stranded. Atleast the Banks dont say aah ud like to draw money and point u to an ATM after u have waited in a q ( how lazy is my typing :)) )
Message 28 of 32
Latest reply

I suggest you change Banks
Message 29 of 32
Latest reply

Actually some Post Offices are going that way (pointing you in a direction of a machine). One near us has 2 self serve machines, one you can pay your bills on and another one you can do your own postage calculations, pay and get the postage sticker. They did have a staff member trying to divert customers to the machines the other day, but she did show them how to use them.

Message 30 of 32
Latest reply