DDU / klarry

DDU can I ask you about your chooks? You do have chooks don't you?
Roughly what sort of cage do you have i.e. wooden? How many chooks & what/how much do you feed them? I searched chook houses on ebay, do you suggest a good one?

Klarry what is needed to fox proof a chook house? We were thinking wire underneath and perhaps sleepers too? Are snakes & rats a problem?

Any information would be good ๐Ÿ™‚
Message 1 of 1,902
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

DDU / klarry

Lovely pics clair!

It makes me want to rug up and walk through a snowy forest.  It must be really nice to wake up and look out at your view.  Good to hear you've settled into your new home and that it's nice and quiet.

I don't remember if I've told you this but ages ago I read an article about how to stop roosters crowing EARLY in the morning.  They have to stretch their head up to crow, so if you put a piece of wood or something above where they sleep......not so they're cramped just low enough so they can't stretch their heads up, they can't crow....and if it doesn't work you can use the wood to bop them on the head....problem solved  (laughing smiley).

Hope you get more snow over night and can make a snowman tomorrow.

View solution in original post

Message 1897 of 1,902
Latest reply
1,901 REPLIES 1,901

DDU / klarry

Hi Clairdelune, you have been missed.... you even had a thread dedicated to looking for you ๐Ÿ™‚
Message 2 of 1,902
Latest reply

DDU / klarry

And I called you Clare:8}
Message 3 of 1,902
Latest reply

DDU / klarry

Yes but do you have chooks?
Message 4 of 1,902
Latest reply

DDU / klarry

Don't forget the birds of prey!!
iPad user ๐Ÿ™‚
Message 5 of 1,902
Latest reply

DDU / klarry

Well vintage I thought of that too.. plenty of hawks around here
Message 6 of 1,902
Latest reply

DDU / klarry

I don't know who to ask? Pets shops? wildlife carers?
Message 7 of 1,902
Latest reply

DDU / klarry

fluffy.bum.dog
Community Member
You need to use cyclone wire not chicken wire . Foxes bite through chicken wire. The wire needs to be buried at least 12 inches underground all the way around your chook house and run. Foxes dig as well. You need the whole of the outside part of the run top wired as well to stop preditory birds killing the chooks.

Timber is not a good option as it encourages mites in the woodwork which suck the chooks blood.
Message 8 of 1,902
Latest reply

DDU / klarry

clair, you may need to get in contact with your local council.
there rules you need to abide by.

Signatures suck.
Message 9 of 1,902
Latest reply

DDU / klarry

fluffy.bum.dog
Community Member
And snakes and rats and mice are a huge problem when you have chooks. The mice and rats come to eat the chook food and the snakes come to eat the mice and rats. Bestif you can remove the containers of chook laying pellets at night to prevent the rodents comming in during the night when the chooks are roosting and most vunerable to attack. But they will still come induring the day, but the chooks will be more alert at this time.
Message 10 of 1,902
Latest reply