Dame Edna Offends Everyone On ‘The Project’

Well not everyone...Woman LOL

National treasure Dame Edna Everage was on The Project last night, where she promoted some pyjamas and lightly made fun of fellow national treasure, Waleed Aly.

Dame Edna’s (or Barry Humphries) schtick has always been playing the elderly passive aggressive aunt, who knows the impact of her words but has aged out of giving an eff.

But sometimes seeing flustered TV anchors trying to join in on the act and navigate her jokes, is just as entertaining as the one-liners she throws at them.

For one, she referred to Waleed as “Little Waly”.

Dame Edna looked at Waleed and declared to the audience, “I have to tell the viewers, that he really does look like this.”

For one second everyone held their breath — this is Australian TV after all, anything could happen — but then she made some joke about “the light” making him seem handsome and phew, everything was okay.

Dame Edna went on to ask about Carrie’s stretch marks, which she was fairly chill about, before turning her attention to footy/Big Brother star, Fitzy. “It must have been horrible for you,” Dame Edna said of his tenure in the Big Brother house.

“But where would you be without that show?” Fitzy then pretended to laugh, but it was that too-high, too-slow laugh that you do when your feelings are really hurt but you’re pretending to be fine.

Eventually everyone starting being a bit passive aggressive (“Why did we even write questions!” Carrie said, praying for an ad break) and by the end of the segment, Dame Edna had implied that Waleed can’t get anyone to have sex with him, and he alluded to the fact that he has HEAPS of weird sex, “fun you would not even believe!” Gross.

With a parting scathing comment: “You know what I love about this show? It really is a long commercial” Dame Edna was gone. Never change, legend.

Read more at http://junkee.com/dame-edna-offended-everyone-project-last-night-not-really-maybe-little/77098#i2SdK...

Love that possum shawl she's wearing Woman LOL

dame edna.jpg

Aly's a fellow "national treasure"???????

Message 1 of 13
Latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

I thought I was the only person who thought The Project was self-important and smug. Apart from comments about physical appearance, which isn't nice, spot on Dame Edna.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buttercup: You mock my pain! Man in Black: Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.
Message 2 of 13
Latest reply

She's on TV over there?

I saw her posting at Joz's place!

Message 3 of 13
Latest reply

Ah, the fantastic Dame Edna. What a mega star. Dame Edna Everage used to have a show here entitled 'The Dame Edna Experience', that ran for three years and I think racked up about a dozen episodes on ITV. She talked to celebrity guests, who would cue up to be insulted - 'Call me old fashioned, but only in the nicest possible ways possums' - usually three per episode. Joining Edna on the show were her "bridesmaid," Madge Alsop. Some of the celebrities who appeared on the show included Sean Connery, Joan Rivers, Larry Hagman, Zsa Zsa Gabor, Charlton Heston, Chubby Checker, Jane Fonda and Malcolm McDowell. Her acerbic wit pricking pomposity like a balloon. She also done a couple of Christmas specials.

Can't get enough of her...erm, er...him. His tours sold out within minutes, but sadly he retired from touring altogether, and again sadly, don't see him on TV here anymore. From one extreme to the other, Sir Les Patterson/Dame Edna Everage.   photo laugh_zpsbc9f7645.gif

Message 4 of 13
Latest reply

@jimmy*part3 wrote:

She's on TV over there?

I saw her posting at Joz's place!

Robot LOL

and she didn't offend anyone there either

well...maybe a little

Signatures suck.
Message 5 of 13
Latest reply

"National treasure Dame Edna Everage was on The Project last night, where she promoted some pyjamas and lightly made fun of fellow national treasure, Waleed Aly."

I still don't get how or when Waleed Aly became a "national treasure"!

Woman Surprised

Message 6 of 13
Latest reply

Neither do I to be honest.  I don't know what all the fuss is about with him.

As for the Dame I think half the insults she throws around are meant to be insults but people just laugh.  

Woman Surprised

Message 7 of 13
Latest reply

Quite right, Bright.

Insult someone with a smile, and they don't know how to take it.

The Project panel are a bunch of supercilious numnuts anyway

I can't stand Carrie Bickmore

Message 8 of 13
Latest reply

@icyfroth wrote:

"National treasure Dame Edna Everage was on The Project last night, where she promoted some pyjamas and lightly made fun of fellow national treasure, Waleed Aly."

Woman Surprised

Agreed. He has a L-O-N-G way to go to be any kind of treasure....and he may not even get there.

As for Dame Edna....she must be almost an International Treasure, such is, um, her popularity.

Message 9 of 13
Latest reply

I think he is a rare treasure, it is rare to see and hear a man of his intelligence and convictions actually speak and know what he is talking about

Message 10 of 13
Latest reply