Dog Question Number 2: How to get her to poo anywhere else aside from the back door?

Bassetts = lazy.

Which means her two favourite places to poo are right outside the back door (so you can imagine the smell) and just outside her kennel (so she doesn't have to walk to far when she has to go int the middle of a nap.

I have tried everything for about 3 weeks now to get her to poo in a particular spot but no luck. I don't care where she poos as we are on a 1200m2 so she has ample space to pick but just not so close to where the family have to walk in and out daily.

Is there some kinbd of deterrant to stop her going in one spot?

Message 1 of 12
Latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Dog Question Number 2: How to get her to poo anywhere else aside from the back door?

To my knowledge, dogs do not poo where their food is.  Put a bowl if water or food in those places. 

Message 2 of 12
Latest reply

imastawka
Honored Contributor

Cheap, homemade and won't hurt the dog -

http://www.instructables.com/id/Dog-Poop-Deterrent/

Google is your friend     widely-grinning-smiley-emoticon.gif

Message 3 of 12
Latest reply

Try to place dishes and clear bottles of fresh water where she uses as her toilet. Dogs generally like to keep water clean and don't mess near it.

Hope it helps, Erica

Message 4 of 12
Latest reply

@lind9650 wrote:

Try to place dishes and clear bottles of fresh water where she uses as her toilet. Dogs generally like to keep water clean and don't mess near it.

Hope it helps, Erica

Erica - she ESPECIALLY likes to poo around her bowls. Like I said, she is serious;y lazy. So anywhere she stops/spend time, she poos! I have never had a dog quite like her.

Message 5 of 12
Latest reply

ima - I wonder how that works?

Is it the smell or does it burn her? I might have to shop for some cayenne and give it a go.

Message 6 of 12
Latest reply

Put some newspaper down for her to do her business on. When she's done it, move the poop to a more appropriate place and leaveI it there. Gradually move the paper closer to the place where the poop is and praise her when she goes in the right place.
 photo screen-1-1-1-1.jpg
Message 7 of 12
Latest reply

I think it must be the smell IMO.   Dunno really, but it won't hurt her

Message 8 of 12
Latest reply

I know some people who trained their dog to go to the compost heap in the far corner of their property.  I think the only way to train her is to have her inside, and after while, when you think she may need to go to loo, put leash on her and take her to some spot further from the house and wait with her until she does it.  If she does not, take her back in and try again later.  If she does something, praise her, give reward.  Think of word you could use when you want her to go to toilet, and keep saying it.  Then, if she messes near the door tell her off.  But wasn't she a kennel dog?  She might be used be in a small confined area and so got used having to do it near her food and bed. 

000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Voltaire: “Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities” .
Message 9 of 12
Latest reply

Supa - that's what we have been doing for 3 weeks. She refuses to go. I've been up the back with her for up to an hour and still nothing.

I don't know what you mean by a kennel dog. She was on a large property for the first 9 months. I assumed that meant she had a free run but perhaps you are right and she was kept in kennels with the other dogs. That would explain a bit.

Message 10 of 12
Latest reply