Dog proof rubbish bin

When we go out our Cavalier Spaniel loves to tip over the rubbish bin in the laundry and rummage through it to see what is edible. Huge mess over the floor when we get home. We try to remember to put the bin on top of the washing machine but sometimes forget. I have seen a lockable bin on Amazon but it is very expensive. Has anyone got any ideas?

Message 1 of 21
Latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Dog proof rubbish bin

How big is the bin?  Could you put a half brick (or even a whole one) in the bottom so it's too heavy to knock over?

Message 2 of 21
Latest reply

Dog proof rubbish bin

It is only a plastic inside bin. I could give this a try, thanks for the suggestion. Although she is only a small dog, she is quite strong and cunning as a cut snake.

Message 3 of 21
Latest reply

Dog proof rubbish bin

ok this worked on my cat and scared the carp out of me this morning when I forgot I had turned it on LOL. It should fix your dog if placed correctly, it's called ssscat it is a motion activated deterrent spray. It's only air so it won't hurt your dog.

Watch some you tube videos of it.

Message 4 of 21
Latest reply

Dog proof rubbish bin

@corgidogz06 wrote:

Has anyone got any ideas?

Teach your dog once and for all that what it is doing is NOT acceptable behavior. That might involve a small amount of discipline but long term, the better solution.

Buying a lockable bin is not solving teh underlying problem and what today is the bin in the laundry can become a much bigger issue later on.

Not sure how you have trained your dog in the past but most dogs will respond to a gentle tap on the nose from the "top dog" in the hierachy of your house. That may be you, your husband, partner etc. You also need to make sure that any training like this is at the time they are cauht red handed, not run away and called back as they won't or might not associated the tap with the bin episode.

Message 5 of 21
Latest reply

Dog proof rubbish bin

Dog proof rubbish bin?  Does not exist ๐Ÿ™‚

000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Voltaire: โ€œThose Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocitiesโ€ .
Message 6 of 21
Latest reply

Dog proof rubbish bin

We had the same problem with our bull terrier years ago, the only way to keep the rubbish in the bin was to put the bin out of reach or her outside! Please don't smack her on the nose, it can cause a dog to become head shy and their snout is very sencertive. I was told to balance something on the to of the bin that would crash down when she tipped it over BUT it didn't work. Lol
Message 7 of 21
Latest reply

Dog proof rubbish bin

I had the same problem with the trash can in the computer room.........I ended up putting a mouse trap inside........

Message 8 of 21
Latest reply

Dog proof rubbish bin

@corgidogz06 wrote:

It is only a plastic inside bin. I could give this a try, thanks for the suggestion. Although she is only a small dog, she is quite strong and cunning as a cut snake.

I got a tall SS one from woolies that it not easy to open nor easy to tip over.  After searching for ages to find a pedal bin in SS that was a decent size it is proving to be a disappointment because it is so hard to open.  It slides along the floor easier than it tips over.

Message 9 of 21
Latest reply

Dog proof rubbish bin

imastawka
Honored Contributor

How old is this dog?  And why has this behaviour been allowed?

We have had 3 Labradors, and we all know Labs will do anything for food.

When caught red handed, make a disapproving loud growl ARRRGGHHH

and frown, then follow the dog as it retreats, making the same growl.

They don't like disapproving noises from the pack leader, they will cower.

Or at least they have in my experience.  Keep it up, till it stops misbehaving.

Message 10 of 21
Latest reply