Dublin priest tells congregation he is gay – and wins standing ovation

196 REPLIES 196

Re: Dublin priest tells congregation he is gay – and wins standing ovation

@alexander*beetle wrote:

Are homosexual adults in general sexually attracted to children and are preadolescent children at greater risk of molestation from homosexual adults than from heterosexual adults? There is no reason to believe so. The research to date all points to there being no significant relationship between a homosexual lifestyle and child molestation. There appears to be practically no reportage of sexual molestation of girls by lesbian adults, and the adult male who sexually molests young boys is not likely to be homosexual(Groth & Gary, 1982, p. 147).

In a later literature review, Dr. Nathaniel McConaghy (1998) similarly cautioned against confusing homosexuality with pedophilia. He noted, "The man who offends against prepubertal or immediately postpubertal boys is typically not sexually interested in older men or in women" (p. 259).

These are cases in which the term pedophilia – referring as it does to attractions to prepubescent children – can cause confusion. Rather than pedophilia, the accusations stemming from these scandals raised the question of whether gay people shouldn't be trusted in positions of authority where there is any opportunity for sexually harassing or abusing others.

Here again, there is no inherent connection between an adult's sexual orientation and her or his propensity for endangering others. Scientific research provides no evidence that homosexual people are less likely than heterosexuals to exercise good judgment and appropriate discretion in their employment settings. There are no data, for example, showing that gay men and lesbians are more likely than heterosexual men and women to sexually harass their subordinates in the workplace. Data from studies using a variety of psychological measures do not indicate that gay people are more likely than heterosexuals to possess any psychological characteristics that would make them less capable of controlling their sexual urges, refraining from the abuse of power, obeying rules and laws, interacting effectively with others, or exercising good judgment in handling authority.

But don't let the research and facts get in the way of prejudice.

Yeah ok. In the meantime, I think I'll take the precautions and keep my kids away from self-confessed homosexual priests, thanks, Alex.

Message 41 of 197
Latest reply

I know for certain my parents wouldn't have allowed me to be stand beside Father Denis McAlinden holding his hand dressed in my first Holy Communion dress and veil had they known he was abusing little girls. To look at those pictures now makes my stomach churn.

Message 42 of 197
Latest reply

@icyfroth wrote:

@alexander*beetle wrote:

Are homosexual adults in general sexually attracted to children and are preadolescent children at greater risk of molestation from homosexual adults than from heterosexual adults? There is no reason to believe so. The research to date all points to there being no significant relationship between a homosexual lifestyle and child molestation. There appears to be practically no reportage of sexual molestation of girls by lesbian adults, and the adult male who sexually molests young boys is not likely to be homosexual(Groth & Gary, 1982, p. 147).

In a later literature review, Dr. Nathaniel McConaghy (1998) similarly cautioned against confusing homosexuality with pedophilia. He noted, "The man who offends against prepubertal or immediately postpubertal boys is typically not sexually interested in older men or in women" (p. 259).

These are cases in which the term pedophilia – referring as it does to attractions to prepubescent children – can cause confusion. Rather than pedophilia, the accusations stemming from these scandals raised the question of whether gay people shouldn't be trusted in positions of authority where there is any opportunity for sexually harassing or abusing others.

Here again, there is no inherent connection between an adult's sexual orientation and her or his propensity for endangering others. Scientific research provides no evidence that homosexual people are less likely than heterosexuals to exercise good judgment and appropriate discretion in their employment settings. There are no data, for example, showing that gay men and lesbians are more likely than heterosexual men and women to sexually harass their subordinates in the workplace. Data from studies using a variety of psychological measures do not indicate that gay people are more likely than heterosexuals to possess any psychological characteristics that would make them less capable of controlling their sexual urges, refraining from the abuse of power, obeying rules and laws, interacting effectively with others, or exercising good judgment in handling authority.

Yeah ok. In the meantime, I think I'll take the precautions and keep my kids away from self-confessed homosexual priests, thanks, Alex.

Who else will you keep them away from? only the self confessed homosexuals and pedophiles?

Message 43 of 197
Latest reply

I also wonder, what is the percentage in the general population? about the same.... or higher?

The prevalence of pedophilia in the general population is not known,[12][51] but is estimated to be lower than 5% among adult men.[12] Less is known about the prevalence of pedophilia in women, but there are case reports of women with strong sexual fantasies and urges towards children.[13] Most sexual offenders against children are male. Females may account for 0.4% to 4% of convicted sexual offenders, and one study estimates a 10 to 1 ratio of male-to-female child molesters.[15] The true number of female child molesters may be underrepresented by available estimates, for reasons including a "societal tendency to dismiss the negative impact of sexual relationships between young boys and adult women, as well as women's greater access to very young children who cannot report their abuse", among other explanations.[15]

Pope Francis: 'About 2%' of Catholic clergy paedophiles

The Vatican says Pope Francis has been misquoted on possible reform of priestly celibacy and the level of paedophilia.

does anyone have a transcript of what the 

pope actually said?

Message 44 of 197
Latest reply

@alexander*beetle wrote:

Alex

Since you are so confident, I'll pay you $500 to leave your grand children with him for a week,

or another priest who has stated they are gay.

I somehow think your daughter or son won't allow you to do that with their childen.

Message 45 of 197
Latest reply

And just keep them in the company of "straight" priests Icy?. Even though your beef should be with priests, clergy etc you still want to peg this to an exclusive homosexual trait... which it is irrefutably is not.

Message 46 of 197
Latest reply

British abuse victim Peter Saunders, 57, who was molested for more than five years by two priests, a teacher and a member of his family from the age of eight, described the experience as ‘life-changing’.

from the link above, looks like it was equal percentages.

Message 47 of 197
Latest reply

What a load of absolute ignorant bull**bleep**! Being gay has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with paedophilea and to even think that shows how **bleep**ing ignorant some people still are! Nasty and narrow minded, not to mention,.how insulting to gay men. Gay men are attracted to adult men. Gay women are attracted to adult women. Hetero men are attracted to adult women. Hetero women are attracted to adult men. Paedophiles are attracted to children.

"There is nothing more; but I want nothing more." Christopher Hitchins
Message 48 of 197
Latest reply

Saying you are gay is not a confession icy. I would be more worried about priests living a lie. So you get a defect for most of your comments here thumb.jpg

Photobucket
Message 49 of 197
Latest reply

thumb.jpg

"There is nothing more; but I want nothing more." Christopher Hitchins
Message 50 of 197
Latest reply