Facebook knows more about you than the Census.

If you have a Facebook page, you can not delete it. You can deactivate it, but can nothing delete.

Facebook gathers informations about you and yours that you never thought possible.

http://www.news.com.au/technology/online/social/here-are-98-facts-and-secrets-facebook-knows-about-y...

I hate Facebook and wish I never heard of it.

Erica

Message 1 of 11
Latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

imastawka
Honored Contributor

It's not just Facebook Erica.   Anything you put on the net is there forever

Message 2 of 11
Latest reply

Look on the bright side, Erica; when you reach our age,  whatever information "They" might have about you, there's really not much they can do with it..Smiley LOL

Message 3 of 11
Latest reply

You are both right, Stawka and She Ele.

I am not worried about any information they get about me. I have nothing to hide or worth stealing.

What annoys me and angers me is the sneaky way people exploit modern technology to make big money, and it is all legal.

When Facebook first started, my family told me it is an easier and quicker way to communicate with family and friends, than using hotmail.

Yes, I suppose it is, but it is not a way to talk about personal matters that only concern two or three people. I have a large family. Children, Stepchildren, In-laws, Grandchildren etc. If I want to tell one of them something private or ask a question, I will not use Facebook, as they usually have oodles of friends there as well. People I don't know and have no business knowing anything about my private life. I still use hotmail, but hardly ever get an answer this way.

Now to find out that Facebook is gathering private information about their users just to be able to target them with advertising of specific items.

I always knew that anything posted on the internet can be retrieved years later, even if it was deleted by a poster. My grandchildren told me that when I got my first computer, so I always tried to be careful of what I write.

But the world has gone crazy. Private and personl communication is going out of fashion. Last year I thought my family had forgotten my Birthday because I got no card or phone call. Peter told me they had all written on my Facebook page regardless that I have not been there for ages. The same happened last Mothers Day. Cheap and quick way to ease ones concience.

Soon the Dictionaries will have to be rewritten as the younger generation won't be able to spell in their own language.

Oh well, I am getting old and grumpy.

Erica

Message 4 of 11
Latest reply

@the_great_she_elephant wrote:

Look on the bright side, Erica; when you reach our age,  whatever information "They" might have about you, there's really not much they can do with it..Smiley LOL

So true.   I like Facebook a lot,  it's a way of keeping tabs on friends and acquaintances, for example one is now travelling  in the East so instead of her having to send countless emails she posts on FB.   My name there is not my real name, but even so I never post anything private and neither do any of the ppl I know.  You're just inviting trouble if you do.  We all send birthday wishes via FB but of course those of us who are close also send private wishes by other means.  .

I cringe a bit at girls  who post photos of themselves and they can be linked to their suburb or places they frequent .

Message 5 of 11
Latest reply

esayaf
Community Member
I don't and never will Facebook. I'm not interested in anyone I don't associate with now contacting me. Especially from school. They were all awful.
I still prefer to actually talk to my family and friends via a phone call. It's nice to hear there voice.
Mark Zuckerberg was extremely deceitful. He knew what his ultimate plan was. That lie he perpetuates that he just wanted to make it easier for people to stay connected is total bull**bleep**. He always wanted to make a pile of money, nothing more
Message 6 of 11
Latest reply

He always wanted to make a pile of money, nothing more

Can't say I blame him, really.

Facebook knows nothing about me 

Message 7 of 11
Latest reply

@imastawka wrote:

He always wanted to make a pile of money, nothing more

Can't say I blame him, really.

Facebook knows nothing about me 

Facebook knows nothing about me either. I hav'nt got an account....Smiley Very Happy

My mobile phone is still an ancient old flip phone that the kids joke about. I tell them i,m very hip and the phone is retro    Smiley Very Happy

Life still goes on quite nicely without all of that carp.

Message 8 of 11
Latest reply

Facebook only knows what you tell it.

No account validation.

No periodic ID check.

Minimal checks and balances.

Kind of like buying accounts on eBay.

Message 9 of 11
Latest reply

"Facebook knows nothing about me either. I hav'nt got an account....Smiley Very Happy

My mobile phone is still an ancient old flip phone that the kids joke about. I tell them i,m very hip and the phone is retro    Smiley Very Happy

Life still goes on quite nicely without all of that carp."

Me, too. I don't have a facebook account and my old fashioned flip top dumb phone is usually turned off unless I want to use it to make an actual phonecall.

When I see all those people walking down the street with their eyes glued to their phones I breathe a sigh of relief that I haven't been so entrapped and enslaved, and I don't get regularly marketed-to, bombarded with adverts for stuff I neither want nor need.

Also, because I'm not carrying a gps-enabled phone, my location in space and time remains my own secret.

I've heard that advertising has become so sophisticated these days that, by virtue of a person's phone/facebook  use, even advertising signs on buildings may change to directly target that person as they walk by (reflecting the level of electronic surveillance they have fallen victim to).

I much prefer the old-fashioned way of life with fewer stressors and no worries about my private life being shared on the internet for all to see, complete with pictures in full colour.

Truth be told, I wouldn't  know about it even if that were the case.

And that's the way I like it. 🙂

(and as for those who might want to take a selfie and submit it to Google image search just as a lark to find out if their image is on the net . . . well, it will be, once you do that.)

Message 10 of 11
Latest reply