Feeding cats

martinw-48
Community Member
Recently we received some little tins of Tuna in Springwater which I hate and my girlfriend wouldn't eat even though she said she would.
I like Tuna in oil.
So I gave one to Buffy and for the first time ever we didn't have to throw out food.
She only licks the gravy off of anything we put in her bowl.
I told my girlfriend to buy Tuna in Springwater.
She bought Tuna mince for cats.
Once again had to throw out half eaten food.
I bought a couple of tins of Tuna in Springwater because they were on special and once again Buffy ate the whole lot.
I think it's better to give her what she'll eat but my girlfriend is determined to only buy cat food.
I can't afford to feed the cat. I've got my own expenses that I'm struggling to maintain.
Message 1 of 31
Latest reply
30 REPLIES 30

Feeding cats

Do you feed your cat a lot of dried food ?

I have found similar with mine when she gets a lot of dried food therefor needs more water and sometimes doesn't drink enough.

Then she just licks gravy and drinks the brine or tomato sauce not touching the sardines, tuna etc.

Just a thought. Smiley Happy

image host
Message 2 of 31
Latest reply

Feeding cats

martinw-48
Community Member
kopes, Buffy has dried food.
She eats very little for a cat.
Only cat I've ever met that doesn't scoff all the food given in one sitting.
There's like twenty sources of water to drink with my girlfriend having containers inside for Buffy and outside for birds, strays
Message 3 of 31
Latest reply

Feeding cats

They are perfet for dogs ad cats and my dogs love them.  Only thing is rinse the salt water off them first, that's all.  Salt not good for them.   Also not as an 'only' diet as they  need vitamins and supplements from other foods for balance.  . 

Message 4 of 31
Latest reply

Feeding cats

Try her on mackerel. It's pretty cheap in Woolies if you buy their home brand. It comes from Thailand so I wouldn't eat it myself but cats can eat a lot of things we can't.

@ bright.ton, I don't think the fish in springwater has added salt, which is why I always buy sardines in springwater.
Message 5 of 31
Latest reply

Feeding cats

@martinw-48 wrote:
Recently we received some little tins of Tuna in Springwater which I hate and my girlfriend wouldn't eat even though she said she would.
I like Tuna in oil.
So I gave one to Buffy and for the first time ever we didn't have to throw out food.
She only licks the gravy off of anything we put in her bowl.
I told my girlfriend to buy Tuna in Springwater.
She bought Tuna mince for cats.
Once again had to throw out half eaten food.
I bought a couple of tins of Tuna in Springwater because they were on special and once again Buffy ate the whole lot.
I think it's better to give her what she'll eat but my girlfriend is determined to only buy cat food.
I can't afford to feed the cat. I've got my own expenses that I'm struggling to maintain.

I suggest keep an eye open for road-kills if the budget is tight.  As for " tuna in springwater" meets health standards for human consuption, cats are not silly. 

Message 6 of 31
Latest reply

Feeding cats

Tuna in spring water is OK for cats....but only as a treat. 

Because it is not a complete food (probably doesn't contain taurine and other vitamins and minerals cats need) it shouldn't be given to the cat too often.

Have you tried mixing some of the human food tuna with a cat OK tuna wet food to get Buffy to accept something new?  This is how I usually introduce something new to my cat. 

It also works for dry food.  I bought something new for my cat....and she hated it.  So I started giving her the new dry food mixed with her usual dry food.  She got used to the new stuff and in the end was happy to eat it without mixing it with something else.

You've got to be more cunning than your cat is, to get any co-operation!

Message 7 of 31
Latest reply

Feeding cats

martinw-48
Community Member
Bright, she doesn't eat the other foods.
She just licks the gravy off.
Except for some dry food
Message 8 of 31
Latest reply

Feeding cats

Bright is right.    Cat food contains Taurine, which is essential for cats.

Taurine is an essential amino acid that is critical for normal heart muscle function, vision, and reproduction in kittens. ... IAMS wet cat foods are supplemented with taurine because they must contain as much as twice the amount of taurine found in dry food for cats to maintain adequate blood taurine levels.

โ€œAfter six weeks without taurine the symptoms become noticeable, but total irreversible blindness occurs only after a long-term deficiency. When the taurine takes its leave the retinas degenerate and eventually the cat will go blind

Message 9 of 31
Latest reply

Feeding cats

@imastawka wrote:

Bright is right.    Cat food contains Taurine, which is essential for cats.

Taurine is an essential amino acid that is critical for normal heart muscle function, vision, and reproduction in kittens. ... IAMS wet cat foods are supplemented with taurine because they must contain as much as twice the amount of taurine found in dry food for cats to maintain adequate blood taurine levels.

โ€œAfter six weeks without taurine the symptoms become noticeable, but total irreversible blindness occurs only after a long-term deficiency. When the taurine takes its leave the retinas degenerate and eventually the cat will go blind

reading the specs I think I shall purchase some ... meow ! 

https://www.webmd.com/vitamins/ai/ingredientmono-1024/taurine

Message 10 of 31
Latest reply