Free-range eggs

12 REPLIES 12

Free-range eggs

imastawka
Honored Contributor

I'm pleased to see the brand I buy meets the recommended model code of

1500 chooks per hectare

https://www.choice.com.au/food-and-drink/meat-fish-and-eggs/eggs/articles/what-free-range-eggs-meet-...

waving2.gifNice to see you back, David   

Message 2 of 13
Latest reply

Free-range eggs

Mine come straight off the farm, def free range, have seen the chooks roaming around  the property

Message 3 of 13
Latest reply

Free-range eggs

Best way to get 'em Bushie.

Message 4 of 13
Latest reply

Free-range eggs

I only ever buy free range eggs. I like the thought of chooks happily wandering around in hectares of beautiful green grass. My husband reckons my interpretation of free range is way off. lol

Message 5 of 13
Latest reply

Free-range eggs

Hi Dave, nice to see you back.

A neighbour to my small hills farm had 60 acres that he ran 500 chooks on, selling the eggs at local farmers markets etc. These where genuinly free range....................... The council shut him down................... It seems you are allowed to graze sheep, cows or alpacas, have olive orchards, vineyards, plant crops with heavy tractors, keep bees etc., run a dairy,  but not have 500 free range chooks.

Message 6 of 13
Latest reply

Free-range eggs

mloreason
Community Member
Stupid council.
Message 7 of 13
Latest reply

Free-range eggs

Am surprised he didnt apply to his council for a permit before he started farming his chooks, pretty sure they are in a different category to sheep, cattle etc.

Message 8 of 13
Latest reply

Free-range eggs

@bushies.girl wrote:

Am surprised he didnt apply to his council for a permit before he started farming his chooks, pretty sure they are in a different category to sheep, cattle etc.

It started as a small hobby. He ran a few chooks and sold the eggs from an esky out front of his house. They sold, he got more chooks, which laid more eggs and they sold too. Within 18 months he had 500 chooks and was selling eggs as quick as the chooks laid them. He decided he would semi retire and legitimize his chook venture, so he APPLIED TO THE COUNCIL for a permit. It was at this point that they shut him down.

No-one had complained. The chooks just used to wander over a large area of paddock, guarded by a Mareema dog. I actually liked to see them scratching amongst the trees and grass. In the evening he would feed them grain and they would come to their enclosure and roost for the night. It wasn't hurting anyone. They didn't smell, no dust, no noise. .......Just bureaucracy gone mad.

Message 9 of 13
Latest reply

Free-range eggs

its reaching the point where we need a permit to sneeze.

cant wait for the govt to start chaging us a fee to breathe.

Message 10 of 13
Latest reply