Further to the Frozen Berries saga.

For those interested in any outcomes from the Frozen berries scare, it appears changes to the food labelling requirements are on the cards.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-07-21/tony-abbott-announces-new-labelling-system-for-australian-food...

Looks like a very good idea and great design, easy to see.

And if consumers buy more local produce, the better.

image host
Message 1 of 16
Latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Looks good. I always check the label.

Message 2 of 16
Latest reply

imastawka
Honored Contributor

The new design is bs.gif

Why don't they just label them 50% chinese and/or 25% chilean

I bought local fresh berries over summer and autumn and froze them myself

Message 3 of 16
Latest reply

Just looked at Frozen Berries here in NZ the other day, all had produce of Chilli on them and I could not get the local ones so did not bother buying any.

Countdown other here is Aussie owned, worst fruit and Veg I have ever seen on both sides of the ditch, if I have to go there I play count the rotten fruit and veg till I get bored.

I have complained 3 times by email and on Face book and nothing changes.

Years ago we would have fed that third grade fruit and veg to the pigs, now we are expected to feed it to our children.

Message 4 of 16
Latest reply

I think it is more to do with not being able to police the claims from other countries.

Many companies purchase and rely on data given from outside of the country.

E.g. Product claims 25% Chilean but they have cheated and used other product sourced and is only 5%.

Taking control of our own measures and policing them is possible, hence only quoting what we can be sure of.

It's a start and gets the ball rolling at least, even if it's not perfected yet.

image host
Message 5 of 16
Latest reply

I got an email from Choice regarding this earlier today.

Here are the new labels the Govt has come up with.......

designs for new country of origin labels

Message 6 of 16
Latest reply

I tend to think these new labels are maybe worse.   At least before, we knew

the countries of origin.

They are allowing companies to not mention the source of the other percentage

From your link -

The bad news
Unfortunately, the new system is less useful if you are interested in the source of non-Australian ingredients. Companies won't have to tell you where key ingredients are from. For example, claims such as 'Made in Australia from more than 50% Australian ingredients' still leaves you in the dark as to where the other half comes from.

Message 7 of 16
Latest reply

yeah, not the best result but at least there is the guarantee of a review in two years

Message 8 of 16
Latest reply

Companies won't have to tell you where key ingredients are from.

and if the country of origin of the produce is concealed then I won't buy it.

Where foodstuffs are concerned we need to be able to make an informed choice about what we buy.

What's so embarrassing about stating where the food comes from?

Concealment of place of origin implies there is something they don't want to tell us, and the question we should ask is "Why?"

Message 9 of 16
Latest reply

I have NEVER trusted lables, ever since my (way back when I wore a younger womans clothes Man Tongue ) partner worked at Edgells Cannery.
Also, I saw what actually went into tin tomatoes. ERK....  I have NEVER bought and/or eaten tin tomatoes again!!!  (and what doesnt get canned, goes on to become tomato puree!   double erk!

Also, I worked in a water bottling factory a few years ago, filing in the off season. They bottled for *other* well named companies too. All that changed was the lable on the bottle. BUT...  the list of ingredients on each lable were all different!  Still the same water being used though!!

These new lables are more deceiving than the ones currently being used. And the ones being currently used are already deceiving.

I will stick to farmers markets, (and my dads veggie garden)   thanx Man Happy

********* *********** *********** ************ ************ *********** ***********
Be Kind To Nurses....
They Stop The Doctors From Killing You.
Message 10 of 16
Latest reply