GST

what's happening with the GST? I heard someone talking about 15%?

Message 1 of 20
Latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

Re: GST

I prefer to believe the government legal source, rather than an unknown academic.

Message 11 of 20
Latest reply

moonflyte
Community Member

I believe the tax should be upped and also the medicare levy.

Welfare and health are outstripping the whole budget and that's not even counting education. We are not making enough tax to pay for our lifestyle, we can't borrow any more from China without endangering our sovereignty.

But don't let that worry you too much, all you have to worry about is Bills mad renewables target and  26,000 more refugees which most will stay on welfare forever, never assimilate and breed a generation of resentment  filled youth.

Republic, the recognition, a female target of 50%   regardless of their ability and gay marriage is the priority for Labor doncha know.

Message 12 of 20
Latest reply

How come no one here ever mentions the nearly 30 billion we spend a year on defense. Mainly to give the tanks some legitimacy for there never ending campaigns against whomever.
When will they ever come and fight a bogus war on our behalf, never. We stupidly spend all our money fighting fir a country that couldn't give a flying fig fir us. Where were they in WWII when the Japanese were bombing us. Hiding back home until we had the Japanese on the ropes and them MacArthur came back and wouldn't let us participate in the front line fighting so he could take all the glory. Oh and before any yank wants to dispute the actual facts of WWII your version of the war is just lies told by the "victor". Isn't it marvelous how they claim to have won the war but were only really there for the clean up. Neither Britain or America were there when we really needed them
Message 13 of 20
Latest reply

@polksaladallie wrote:

I prefer to believe the government legal source, rather than an unknown academic.

That was the government legal source that was referred to in your initial reference.

DEB

Message 14 of 20
Latest reply

Nup.

Message 15 of 20
Latest reply

This is from within the initial reference you gave.

That is because legal experts suggest that the IGA is not legally binding, but merely a political agreement.[4]

[4].          P Wong (Minister for Finance), โ€˜Senior lawyers back Abbottโ€™s ability to Increase GST,โ€™ 19 August 2013, accessed 19 May 2014; see also M Farr, โ€˜Tony Abbott has power to increase GST without state support,โ€™ news.com.au, 19 August 2013, accessed 19 May 2014.

http://parlinfo.aph.gov.au/parlInfo/search/display/display.w3p;query=Id%3A%22media%2Fpressrel%2F2672... Media Release

Campaign Spokesperson Penny Wong

SENIOR LAWYERS BACK ABBOTTโ€™S ABILITY TO INCREASE GST

Senior legal counsel has confirmed that Tony Abbott could increase the GST and rip thousands of dollars out of the pockets of average Australians, if he is elected Prime Minister.

Advice reported by news.com.au from two respected constitutional experts, Bret Walker SC and A. D. Lang, makes it clear that Mr Abbott is not telling the truth when he claims that the Federal Government can only increase the rate of the GST and apply it to currently exempt items like food if the states agree.

Polksa, this info is from your submission in the first instance.  

How can the term "nup"  be appropriate?

DEB

Message 16 of 20
Latest reply

Should have been, Huh?

Message 17 of 20
Latest reply

Submission?    Smiley Surprised   I don't work in academia any longer.

Message 18 of 20
Latest reply

polksaladallie wrote:

Bret walker  is hardly an unknown academic!

In a nutshell:  the government of the day do not require approval of the States and Territories to vary the base or rate of the GST. This could be achieved by a simple amendment(s) to the  GST Act.  However, therein lies the rub, a simple amendment would require successful passage through BOTH houses.

Not a simple process !

siggy dogs cats smaller.jpg

Message 19 of 20
Latest reply

I am not against raising the GST BUT it shouldn't be on essential items and untilities. It should be on high end items, TV's, cars etc Let's face it,  no matter how you look at it the budget needs more money.  But if we apply it to the non essentials it doesn't impact on the disadvantaged so much.

Message 20 of 20
Latest reply