George Pell's lawyer is a shameful man.

George Pell returns to court, prosecutors push for 'immediate' jail sentence for child sex abuse

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-02-27/george-pell-returns-to-court-for-presentencing-hearing/108511...

to attempt to 'water down' this mand criminal sexual attack on children is disgusting.

sure argue hes old and frail (boo hoo)

but to say the act was 'vanilla'?

i heard on ABC radio the lawyer claimed any 'penitration' was les than 6 minutes so its on the lower end of offending.

really?

Message 1 of 115
Latest reply
114 REPLIES 114

Re: George Pell's lawyer is a shameful man.

@*kazumi* wrote:

@imastawka wrote:

Robert Richter gets paid a shipload of money to do his job.

And that's what he's doing.

I don't agree with what comes out of his mouth, but I wouldn't mind him as a lawyer

if I was in trouble.

Pell is trying to appeal on the grounds that he is innocent of the charges.  Robert Richter QC basically admitted that the offence did happen................

Not sure I would want him defending me.

Richter can have no idea whether Pell is guilty or not, the statement, reprehensible as it was, was part of a normal plea discussion, prior to the sentencing. He was comparing it to ther similar crimes.

Message 21 of 115
Latest reply

The problem as I see it is, Richter has been, over his career, the go-to QC

for the crime bosses and the underworld figures.

His terminology is tempered for their cases, not a paedophile.

Message 22 of 115
Latest reply

Well - there you go.

The Law - has survived.

Message 24 of 115
Latest reply

It does not mean that the appeal is not going ahead.....apparently Brett Walker SC is taking over.

Message 25 of 115
Latest reply

"Richter has quit" ... indeed.

He says that "the guilty verdict was perverse", and yet in his (Richters') own words, he made the decision to describe Pell's crime as just "vanilla"  (which could be interpreted to mean in his opinion a "fairly harmless") sexual attack perpetrated on the children. 

What utter hypocrites;  all of them, the defendant and his lawyer/s.  They really do deserve each other in the most painful way.  They bleed inside each others self inflicted wounds, and they want to have it both ways, depending on who can be convinced within their rose coloured blinkers.

Message 26 of 115
Latest reply

That description was used in the context of making a plea to get a shorter sentence.   You cannot bargain on the premise that the defendent is not guilty so all he was doing was making a plea for a more lenient sentence.

Pell is still going ahead with an appeal anyway....or that was the last I heard.

Message 27 of 115
Latest reply

Making a plea using the words he did for a shorter sentence clearly indicated (in my opinion) just what kind of character the lawyer has, just like his client.

Of all the pleas he could have put before the judge, it was that one that was totally sickening and so obviously an attempt to make what is an appalling crime appear to be nothing of real significance and therefore, be treated leniently.

In the real world, that is not what victims experience .. it only exists in the minds of certain "smart" lawyers who can sleep at night regardless.

The fact that the lawyer resigned from the case is very telling also. I suspect certainly not for the reasons he gave or only because he was upset at the verdict.  The apology he gave was very shallow.

I do not want, need, require or expect anyone to agree with me.

Message 28 of 115
Latest reply

i think he has now realised how bad those words were and the public response and has decided to run for cover.

i wonder if he will regret using those words for the rest of his life, i hope he does.

Message 29 of 115
Latest reply

So do I David, very much so. 

Message 30 of 115
Latest reply