Message 2 of 16
Latest reply

Gran's Place

gp1.jpg

Message 3 of 16
Latest reply

Gran's Place

REF from the photo comp.

There is about 1.5 mt of water.The house is on stilts.

Gran was about 80 year old.

The water was about 25mm short of coming over  the 

floors for 6 days & took another 5 days to go right down.

Her biggest complaint was after the water went down &

the mossies came.

The year after she condecended to move to our place.

Message 4 of 16
Latest reply

Gran's Place

Gran judged that well didn't she ๐Ÿ˜„  It sounds like she was a real character. 

Joono
Message 5 of 16
Latest reply

Gran's Place

They made them tough back then !!!!

amazing photos, thanks for sharing.

Message 6 of 16
Latest reply

Gran's Place

Thanks for showing more Smiley Happy  I am interested / fascinated by the events of nature and the people who can be affected so greatly.

Is the old house still standing? Has any floodwater ever gone "over the floorboards"?

What sort of crops/animals on the farm?  I didn't see any water tanks in the pictures.....How common are/were the Canadian canvas/bamboo canoes in the area.

Those farming areas sure breed some tough men and women.

DEB

Message 7 of 16
Latest reply

Gran's Place

Longreach is a town in the central west of Queensland. We always called it central Qld but sometime along the line that title has been afforded to Rockhampton on the central east coast.

It is in the sheep & wool area with some cattle & these days quite a bit of tourism.

The photo's date back to the early 1950s and the house has been replaced but the land has been built up & no the house never had water over the floor boards.

The canoes were not common & that at the time would have the been only one localy.They were about 2mt long X 1.2 mt wide x 0.4 mt deep. A fully cane/bamboo frame with canvas skin & a lift in/out wooden flat floor.

She did have a watertank it was in the end of the house with the sheeting going to  ground(more like a shed on the end of the house) as it kept the water cooler.

We all had water tanks & in the long drought years ,7 years when I was at school, we would fill them with the piped riverwater & add ebsonsalts to clear it.

We also had arteasian water piped it being hot mineral water was soft,didn't need to be pumped & lovely to soak in in the bathtub.

The town is a bit under 5 km from the Thompson river but when in flood the river spreads up to 14 to 16 km wide in an average flood

& in the one shown it was 50 km wide.

Anything further free free to ask as I can rabbit on for hours about the back country.

Message 8 of 16
Latest reply

Gran's Place

This the Council Mail Boat for use in floods. About 5 mt long powered by a straight 6 GMC/Chevie motor.

cmb1.jpg

Message 9 of 16
Latest reply

Gran's Place

This is the river in it's normal state in a good year at the old bridge.

ob1.jpg

Message 10 of 16
Latest reply