Greens Senator. ....

GREENS Senator Larissa Waters has urged Christmas shoppers to rethink buying bright pink jewellery or dolls for little girls, linking gender-stereotyped toys to domestic violence and pay inequality.

The minor party’s gender spokeswoman has endorsed the ‘No Gender December’ campaign, set up by grassroots group Play Unlimited, which calls on retailers to stop using old-fashioned gender stereotypes as marketing ploys this Christmas.

Message 1 of 36
Latest reply
35 REPLIES 35

Greens Senator. ....

dawau37
Community Member
I think that is silly. I have boys and girls. They play with each other's toys. I think children learn by example.
Message 2 of 36
Latest reply

Greens Senator. ....

The fact is little girls like pink, maybe some boys also like pink, but my daughter always liked pink.  You could say that was because I conditioned her that way, but that is totally wrong.  I actually really liked her in bright sky blue/Madonna blue and even navy, and our place was totally pink free zone while she was a baby.  She had very pale blond hair and huge blue eyes and blue suited her, but as soon as she could express her preference she would reach for pink. 

In any case, in the past, up to 1st half of 20th century in some parts of the world pink was associated with boys and blue with girls.

People complain that girls' toys are mainly pink.  That is because manufactures do consumer surveys releasing groups of toddler into rooms with toys and carefully note what appeals to them, and make toys according to the results. 

I'd say, forget about irrelevant details and concentrate on bringing boys and girls to feel equal, and comfortable with each other, and who they are.

000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Voltaire: “Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities” .
Message 3 of 36
Latest reply

Greens Senator. ....

As someone just comment on TV this was typical front page grabbing and she succeeded.

Message 4 of 36
Latest reply

Greens Senator. ....

what's with all this gender neutral carp, honestly aren't their bigger issues to solve?
Message 5 of 36
Latest reply

Greens Senator. ....

@harley_babes_hoard wrote:
what's with all this gender neutral carp, honestly aren't their bigger issues to solve?

You would certainly think so wouldn't you ?

What a load of tosh!

You can't please all the people all the time, so now I just please myself

Message 6 of 36
Latest reply

Greens Senator. ....

And you wonder why the Greens are looked on as idiots.

You already have a push in Kindergartens for NO boy or Girl but everyone to be called "Purple Pumpkins".

That is recent fact, I burst out laughing when I was told.

Message 7 of 36
Latest reply

Greens Senator. ....

GREENS Senator Larissa Waters has urged Christmas shoppers to rethink buying bright pink jewellery or dolls for little girls, linking gender-stereotyped toys to domestic violence and pay inequality.

Woman LOLWoman Frustrated

she said as part of the 'no gender in december' campaign

she would like toy stores to stop displaying signs saying

which toys are for boys or girls.

when asked if she had seen any such signs in toy stores

she said she hasn't had as much time to go to toy shops

as she used to.Woman Frustrated

Message 8 of 36
Latest reply

Greens Senator. ....

Maybe she would like to suggest what I can get for Granddaughter for Christmas.

When I asked her what she would like she said "Anything as long as it is Pink"

Message 9 of 36
Latest reply

Greens Senator. ....

I dunno, maybe she's onto something. I don't remember little girls being anywhere near as pink as they are now when my kids were little, about 30 years ago.
And I did notice signs in (I think it was) K-M recently pointing out the boys isle and girls isle in the toy section.
Message 10 of 36
Latest reply