Help Wanted For Sydney Fashion Retailer - Non-Koreans Need Not Apply

That is the message from one central Sydney retailer that may have breached the NSW Anti-Discrimination Act with its “Korean speakers only” employment policy.

Fashion and beauty store Alice’s Diary in the heart of Koreatown, on Liverpool Street, is advertising for ­“Korean staff” at their World Square shop.

Two non-Korean Daily Telegraph staff members who tried to test their employment policy by inquiring about the job were turned away, one in less than two minutes.

The shop could be breaching the NSW Anti-Discrimination Act, which makes it illegal for an employer to use race as a deciding factor in who should be offered a job.

Entire Article Here

I can understand they need korean-speaking ppl if that's what their business is about, but they should have worded it " Must Speak Korean". Maybe they didn't know.

What the Law Says:

The NSW Anti-Discrimination Act makes it illegal for an employer to use race as a deciding factor in determining who should be offered employment, and on what terms the job is offered. Exceptions to this rule exist in welfare jobs that are targeted to help a person of a particular race, and in acting, modelling or hospitality jobs where people of a certain race are required for “authenticity”.

Message 1 of 10
Latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

yeah - all in the wording.

instead of "korean staff wanted" -

"ability to speak korean" woud've

been ok.

Message 2 of 10
Latest reply

@*julia*2010 wrote:

been ok.

I'd hate to've seen the uproar if a company advertised for Australian staff only.

Message 3 of 10
Latest reply

They could have put - Must speak Korean -- for one of their selection criterias.

Message 4 of 10
Latest reply

@am*3 wrote:

They could have put - Must speak Korean -- for one of their selection criterias.

There seems to be and echo in here...Woman Surprised

Message 5 of 10
Latest reply

I didn't read your link before. I thought it was an ad in a newspaper or online.

It was a sign in the window. People don't realise with smart phones, internet, social media etc,  how any little thing they do can end up on the www for thousands of people to see.

Message 6 of 10
Latest reply

“Korean speakers only”

doesn't that address the need ?

Message 7 of 10
Latest reply

I always think its a bit silly to ban signs like that because at least it saves people applying who are not going to get the job.And if their customers are Korean why not employ Korean speakers

I see signs around  Southern Sydney saying " male wanted " at  stores that operate overnight and so on .I guess its a safety thing  and I must admit I can see their point in some cases as you would not want a female alone in a remote store at night I guess...I mean its not a job I would want myself .

You can ban the signs but it will not make people hire someone they do not want or intend to employ for whatever reason.Its a bit like banning Nazi rally or Calfate supporters.I may find what they say dreadfull  but I suspect they will say it anyway and I wonder if it is not better to have it said openly  where police and media can report it banning it will not stop it.

Message 8 of 10
Latest reply

@*julia*2010 wrote:

been ok.

Why not just write the ad in Korean?

Message 9 of 10
Latest reply

In some council areas of Sydney it is illegal tp put up a sign in a language other than english.I think Sydney City may be one of them

Message 10 of 10
Latest reply