Hobart high school 'cage' for teenagers with autism

Hobart high school 'cage' for teenagers with autism 'akin to Risdon jail'

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-04-08/school-uses-fenced-area-for-students-with-autism/10977356

oh come on, in 2019 we are building cages for kids with disabilities?

whoever did this should be removed from having anything to do with kids full stop!

Message 1 of 15
Latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

I wouldn't call it a cage, it's a fence, though I don't believe the fence should have any spikes on top.

Probably the main problem is the area could be a lot bigger and should be made more attractive with seating and so on.

I don't think the article addressed the main issue at all. The main issue is why the fenced area was needed.

I have taught some children with autism & some associated types of problems and they just used the normal playground without any dramas.

But I have seen some other children with different problems (not necessarily autism) who could not cope with the yard or who were very violent and who needed an aide to watch over them every second & who quite often needed to be removed from the yard and taken to a room (usually the vice prin's office) where there were some toys & games where they had quiet time.

There was one year when the vice prin got overwhelmed by the constant calls so we teachers were told to organise lunch time sessions. Every teacher had to spend half a lunch time once a week taking eg a craft session or art, lego etc and sessions were spaced so there were several different ones each day. Children were able to go to any session they liked, if they liked. Purely voluntary. It was specifically so the kids who could not cope outdoors had some options and it reduced they outdoor stress.

But it added to teacher stress as we all also had 2 lunch time sessions of yard duty per week as well as morning recess duty, which meant there wasn't much time to eat or prepare for the next class lesson.

The main issue I think is the steady stream of children into mainstream schools-children who might have massive problems. I'm not talking about high functioning autism as I have always found those children easy enough to teach as long as things are organised and there is routine.

But there are some other children coming into the schools that I believe would be better suited to special schools or special education units as their behaviour can be disruptive or dangerous. For example, if you have a child who is likely to run out on the road, you need to keep them safe. There is a special school near here where the whole  school & playground is surrounded by a very high fence and gated.

So my suggestion would not necessarily be that anyone be sacked but that the issue that should be investigated is why was the fence built, and if the reason was for the safety of some particular students, then most likely a mainstream school is not the place for those students.

Message 2 of 15
Latest reply

imastawka
Honored Contributor

Pretty bad.

Locked in with no drinking fountains and no toilet access either.

Message 3 of 15
Latest reply

But how exactly is this area used?

You're assuming the children are locked in by themselves with no access to toilets/drinking fountains.

If so, that would definitely be a fault. I think that is a highly unlikely scenario.

But I am wondering if it is a private, quiet play area where aides can take a student. I would be surprised if such students were left alone. By law, students are always supervised in playgrounds. In my earlier post, I mentioned how some high risk students spent time during recesses in the vice prin's office. There is not toilet or tap in there either but there are adults and if a child wants to go to a toilet, they just ask and are taken.

I am wondering if this outdoor area is similar, where an aide would be with every child so would just take them to a toilet when needed, or where children might take their lunch, drink bottle etc

Message 4 of 15
Latest reply

@springyzone wrote:

But how exactly is this area used?

You're assuming the children are locked in by themselves with no access to toilets/drinking fountains.

If so, that would definitely be a fault. I think that is a highly unlikely scenario.

But I am wondering if it is a private, quiet play area where aides can take a student. I would be surprised if such students were left alone. By law, students are always supervised in playgrounds. In my earlier post, I mentioned how some high risk students spent time during recesses in the vice prin's office. There is not toilet or tap in there either but there are adults and if a child wants to go to a toilet, they just ask and are taken.

I am wondering if this outdoor area is similar, where an aide would be with every child so would just take them to a toilet when needed, or where children might take their lunch, drink bottle etc

Try reading the link Springy.

It's used to segregate the autistic kids.

The article states there are no drinking fountains, nor toilets available, and the kids are locked in.

Do high school kids have supervision normally?

Message 5 of 15
Latest reply

its shirking our responsibility, those kids IF they are so bad they require a locked caged area need much better care than being put into a locked cage.

supervision by trained professionals not cages.

ive read stories like this several times recently, kids being 'restrained' or put in 'rooms' who have mental or even phisical problems.

its just not ok, if the school cant care for these kids they should not take them in until they can.

that cage didnt build itself over night in reponse to a sudden need, that cage was planned and built by experts.

and absolutly 'spikes' on the top are so not ok!

Message 6 of 15
Latest reply

I can't see where it actually states the kids are locked in, nor can I see mention of whether they are supervised or not. I'm pretty sure that locking them in alone with no means to get out would be illegal and a crime.

There are a number of initiatives for people with autism. For example, I have worked in an environment where we developed a snoezelen room for individuals to spend time. It can be highly soothing and relaxing. But as usual there would be a modest cost and supervision would definitely be required. If the intention was to provide personal space from other students who may torment and bully them, then fair enough IMO. But schools can do a lot more if the right people are leading the way.

Message 7 of 15
Latest reply

"It's an enclosed area with two locked gates with bars that are extremely high and spiked on the top — it's a cage, not a compound, it's a cage," Mr Edwards said.

I see no mention of supervision.

Message 8 of 15
Latest reply

But that does not state that the kids are locked in. The locked gates may be unlocked when in use. The article also does not mention if the gates are the only means of entry/exit - there may also be a door. The article does not provide enough details to confirm whether the kids are being secluded and deprived of water and toilet facilities when they are utilising the area. That would not only be illegal, but horrendous.

Message 9 of 15
Latest reply

Yes, some more detail would be nice.

But I can't see the parents getting this upset if the gates were unlocked/a door to access water and toilets and / or supervision.

I think just the mere act of segregating these children is horrendous.

On a par with 'whites only'  IMO

The damaging effect on these children can't be assessed.

edit:  I have a grandson who has Asperger's and is starting high school next year.

Message 10 of 15
Latest reply