Homemade cooking - Lets ditch the beetles!

As a follow up to the beetles thread. As in what is actually in factory made food and food colourings etc.

What did you make at home???

I'll start.

I made bread and butter custard last night ....  was soooo delicious!

Haven't had that since teenhood in the 80's, twas the first time i'd ever made it myself.

YUMMMM.

Message 1 of 73
Latest reply
72 REPLIES 72

Re: Homemade cooking - Lets ditch the beetles!

Cheers pimpy! I am so trying that next time.....I love tempura too so that's on the list also, cheers sin!
Message 51 of 73
Latest reply

Let's hear it for the spud!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I like them any way but raw.  

Be it ever so humble, there's no food like MASH.  Everyone knows how to make mashed potatoes ... I'll only add ... they need lots of butter 🙂 and NO LUMPS.  

When I'm boiling potatoes for salad, I bring them to the boil, and then turn down so they cook really slowly.  I also try and use whole potatoes for this and then cut any bits off after they are cooked and cooled enough to handle.  Seems to make them firmer.  I ALSO like to add mayo when the potatoes are still warm.  Then I just throw in chopped onions. Nice and simple.  

Jacket potatoes ... oh yum.  I like, I'm afraid, to cook these until the skins are crispy ... and then ... yep ... lots of butter.  I didn't really get in to the craze for the fillings like baked beans, or coleslaw or whatever.  Why ruin a perfectly good potato?  

Fried potatoes ... who can resist a plate of crispy fried potatoes with a fried egg to dip them in?  Did someone say "fat and cholesterol"?  Well, you just don't eat them every day 🙂  To make the crispiest potatoes, don't turn them until they come away from the frying pan easily.  Cook  one side, turn, turn again and they should be done.  

And, last but not least ... my two faves ... 

Home made chips ... cut the potatoes into strips, and fry in oil.  I use the turbo oven for this ... I don't have a deep fryer.  (And, that reminds me, I've never had a deep friar, either, but never mind).  How long you cook them for depends on your preference for crispiness.  

Home made crisps ... a bit time consuming this, but well worth the effort.  Cut the potatoes into really really really thin rounds.  I mean see through thin.  Cook in batches in a small frying pan, remove each batch when done, place on a bit of paper towel to pretend you're doing the right thing and cutting down on your fat intake 😉 ... when all crisps are cooked, put them back in the frying pan to heat up and serve as a side dish.  Or, just eat them like Smiths with a bit of balsamic vinegar ... or just eat them.  

Message 52 of 73
Latest reply

My Goodness, I got caught up and only just got back.

WOW, my poor old BB custard looks plain beside some of these wonders.

So, anyone have tips for those of us who fail at pastry?????

AND does anyone know how to make naan bread like they do it in the indian shops. It's so nice fluffy, they must have a secret as mine(and my sis-in-law's) always come out hard and non-puffy.

Smiley Happy

Message 53 of 73
Latest reply

I love homemade soups! Especially in winter.

I'm working my way through Soups for all Occasions by Marion Mansfield and havent had a failure yet.

Message 54 of 73
Latest reply

can't help with pastry,annies,but i'll ask/bribe my neighbor for her naan bread recipe,if i can get her to give it to me.:)

taste my religion! nibble a witch! 😄
Message 55 of 73
Latest reply

@j*oono wrote:

I missed this thread this morning.

Rich beef and stout casserole from the Taste .com.au site.  It is unbelievably good.

We had that casserole last night.  It was delicious. I browned everything off in a pan then put it all in the slow cooker on low for about 7 or so hours. So easy but soooo tasty. 

Message 56 of 73
Latest reply

Annies ... on pastry ... just follow the recipe exactly. If it says ice cold water, then use that, not water from the tap.

More later ... I just found 10 top tips for making pastry, but back to bed for a bit first.

Message 57 of 73
Latest reply

Okey dokey, this is from my ancient (1960, older than me) cookery book.  I use it for recipes that need precise ingredients, like cakes and pastries.  Some of the recipes are hilarious, they are just so ... OLD ... but I saw one earlier today for deep fried pasties which might indicate that cooking, like fashion, goes through phases.

Certain Success With Pastry

Keep ingredients, utensils and hands as cool as possible.

Use a large bowl rather than a small basin for short pastry, so there is plenty of air space.

When rubbing fat into flour, lift hands as much as possible so that air is introduced into dough.

Rub fat in oniy with forefinger and thumb.  Too much pressure when rubbing will make pastry too sticky.

Sieve flour before mixing.  This lightens the dough.

(Abbrev) Use plain flour.

(Abbrev) Don't make dough too wet or dry.  The dough is the right texture when it rolls into a large ball with very little handling.

Pastry should be baked quickly.

When using very hard fat (perhaps straight from the refrigerator) ... you will find it helpful to grate it 

[LOL, I disagree with this one ... just take the butter out of the fridge before you need it so it can soften]

When making short pastry oil can be used instead of [other] fat.  

[I don't agree with this one either]

When rolling out pastry remember never to roll the rolling-pin backwards and forwards.  It should roll one way only - straight ahead.  The pastry should be turned at right angles to obtain right shape.

When rolling the pastry, lift rolling-pin from time to time.  This helps to keep the dough light.

[I am not sure what this means ... you NEED to lift the rolling-pin ... ]

When a recipe  says that the pastry case should be baked "blind" it means empty.  To prevent the bottom of the tart or flan rising, fill case with cursts of stale bread [EWWWWWW] or haricot beans onto a piece of greased grease proof paper during the baking.  Remove filling five minutes before pastry case is quite cooked.

[I use rice.  When the pie is nearly cooked, I tip it out and put it back into a jar to be re-used ... you can also make some fork marks in the base to stop pastry rising]

===

Recipe

Short crust pastry

8oz flour

4 oz fat

good pinch salt

cold water to mix (approx 2 tbsplns)

Sieve flour and salt and rub in fat (my preference is half butter and half lard, but, whatever you like ... except I'd caution against using margarine.  Not only is it evil and nasty, I just don't think it gives the best results) until mixture looks like fine breadcrumbs (so, finer than stuffing mix).  Gradually add cold water and use fingers to make dough.  

Not only should it roll into a ball easily, but your should be able to "feel" if it is good pastry at this stage.  It should be firm, but giving if you stick a finger in it.  

Lightly flour the rolling-pin and a chopping board.  Roll away from you, and turn.  After a couple of turns, lift it up using the rolling pin and turn on other side.  Continue until it's the right size and thickness.  Add a little extra flour to board and pin when pastry starts to feel sticky.  

Don't mess around now.  You should have everything ready before you start making the pastry.  Oven on, dish ready, and in it goes.  

You can use any leftovers to make a jam roly poly, or cheese straws ... or the kids can make them 🙂

===

Treat time.  Ok, you've read all the above and you're raring to go ... 

Make a quantity of the above recipe.  Bake blind in a pie dish, remove rice (or whatever), return to oven until base is cooked.  

Let COOL.  I mean COOL.  

Take a can of Nestle's Caramel Top 'n' Fill.  Place in pie (still in pie dish and very very cool) spread evenly.  

Top with real whipped cream.  Lots of cream.  The cream counters the sweetness of the caramel.  

Enjoy

Message 58 of 73
Latest reply

lol,i think i'll stick with buying mine premade! i'm notorious for covering half the house with flour when i use it.this could be WORSE! 😄

taste my religion! nibble a witch! 😄
Message 59 of 73
Latest reply

my great aunt in law said with pastry its all how you rub the butter/flour that counts

my mum says its about how much you dont mess with it, dont over knead, the less touching the better.

having said that, I still suck at it, no matter how I try it. But then, me and cooking dont really go well together

Message 60 of 73
Latest reply