Homemade cooking - Lets ditch the beetles!

As a follow up to the beetles thread. As in what is actually in factory made food and food colourings etc.

What did you make at home???

I'll start.

I made bread and butter custard last night ....  was soooo delicious!

Haven't had that since teenhood in the 80's, twas the first time i'd ever made it myself.

YUMMMM.

Message 1 of 73
Latest reply
72 REPLIES 72

Thanks Sandy 🙂

Message 41 of 73
Latest reply

thanks kab!

taste my religion! nibble a witch! 😄
Message 42 of 73
Latest reply

Sin, the three ready rolled chilled or frozen pastry we can buy here are puff pastry, shortcrust pastry, which is like a pie crust, and also filo pastry.  You might call that one the same thing but filo is the one that is really thin and you layer it with brushed melted butter between the layers.

I am no pastry chef so I always buy pre made. Haha who needs the mess.

I see now that we can also buy cookie dough but I can't see the point in that.  If you want to make special biscuits then why would you use that?  Good for kids in the kitchen I suppose.

Joono
Message 43 of 73
Latest reply

aha,okay,i see! and believe me,i buy premade pastry dough too,ANY kind. it's one of my downfalls,along with rare steak and sunnyside up fried eggs. just...can't do it! 

okay,good then. so the doughs work for me,just different titles. i can do that. thank you! 🙂

btw,i have a good spanokopita recipe,if anyone wants it. it's southern greek.:)

Message 44 of 73
Latest reply

talking about ready made PUFF PASTRY SHEETS......

Surprise Pillows     ......simple and DELICIOUS served with custard & icecream/yoghurt/cream or on their own

3-4 sheets puff pastry

1-2 tablespoons melted butter

Extra 2 tablespoons butter -optional

50 mls milk

1/2 cup sultanas

1/2-1 cup of honey.....I use honey straight from a 'squirty' bottle,easier and no waste

apples or choice of fruit

pastry brush

Knife

Fork

Shallow glass/ceramic baking dish greased- larger is better

Set oven to 190 degrees Celcius or 375 degrees Fahrenheit

Thaw pastry sheets.

Peel apples, cut into quarters, remove core bits making "v"  cuts and then slice each apple quarter into medium sized segments.

Dividing each pastry sheet first into 1/2 lengthways then make cuts crossways to divide pastry sheet into 1/3rds..... to make 6 rectangles per sheet.

To make pillows

Place about 3 segments of apple (or fruit of choice) onto each pastry rectangle.

Optional butter-  add a tiny tiny dob of butter on top of each pastry rect & fruit

Add about 1/2 teaspn of honey onto each pastry rect & fruit

Add about 6 sultanas or more onto honey (holds sultanas in place!)

Melt 1 tablespoon butter and warm milk together in microwave in a cup for about 30 secs - 1 minute

Using pastry brush, brush melted butter/milk around edges of each rectangle and  'press' seal contents to make a fruit 'pillow'.

You can be creative with 'pillow' shapes.e.g. Cornish pasty shape when cooked look like 'dinosaurs'! 

Bed pillow shapes using a fork to 'fringe' edges.....parcels-draw edges/corners up and 'scrunch' to seal

Arrange 'pillows' on base of greased baking dish, leaving room between each to cook properly.

Prick each pillow through top making a few holes using a fork or sharp knife.

Brush tops of pillows with remaining milk and butter to aid browning during cooking.

Dribble a little honey and scatter a few raisins over pillows before placing in top half of preheated oven.

Cook 30 minutes. Check - if needs longer, cover dish with aluminium foil or lid to prevent burning during extra cooking time

Message 45 of 73
Latest reply

I do want to add that the recipe is perfectly wonderful.

Sandwich biscuits together with whipped cream, place into plastic container/s, and drench with fortified wine. Leave overnight for wine to soak in ...

AND DON'T EAT FOR BREAKFAST
Message 46 of 73
Latest reply

A quick sweet if you are having visitors (that's the only time we have sweets) - and not much sugar.

Apple crumble slice.

1 1/2 cups SR Flour

1 1/2 cups Coconut

1/2 Cup Caster Sugar

1 Egg

185gr Melted Butter

Large can of pie apple (or other fruit)

Mix flour, coconut and sugar together.  Mix in egg and melted butter.

Put half into a lamington tray (28 x 18cms) and pat it down to form the base.

Empty fruit onto base then crumble the other half of the dough over the fruit.

Cook in a moderate oven 180 (160 fan) for 40-45 mins.

Serve with fruit.

Everyone likes this and it is scrumptious served with whipped cream, or icecream, or custard, or all of them Smiley Very Happy.

I made it the other night and just used a pkt of frozen blackberries - it was delicious.

photo 214a93fa3a9e326200857a2dbc30e730_zps379416e4.jpg
Message 47 of 73
Latest reply

Alright I feel that food should also be kept simple.
Chicken nuggets...who doesn't love them...who really wants to eat processed nuggets ugh.

Dinner for us tonight is chicken breasts cut into strips/chunks. Crumbed with whatever flavour you crave added to the crumbs, tonight it is lemon rind. And then for all you health freaks lol deep fry!

Way betterer and tastier than store bought.
Message 48 of 73
Latest reply

my BIL makes the yummiest crumbed chicken pieces. Not really nuggets, more like chicken strips. His secret is a packet of french onion soup mix added to the bread crumbs.

Message 49 of 73
Latest reply

i like both those ideas. i usually make a beer batter,or tempura,for fried chicken,so i could use something different! 

Message 50 of 73
Latest reply