How about boycoting Harvey Norman ?Australias chief Winger Gerry Harvey was mainly responsible.

How about boycoting Harvey Norman ? Gerry Harvey australias no 1 wingeing  winer was mainly reponsible for the gst now applying to goods brought in under the former $1000 starting point.It's been reported Harvey who is a multi millionaire apparently was the main instigator to get the Aust. Govt to introduce new laws starting 1/7/2018 which now affects all ebay purchases from overseas.Does this    serial complainer Harvey grate on anyones  else's nerves? 

Message 1 of 20
Latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

How about boycoting Harvey Norman ?Australias chief Winger Gerry Harvey was mainly responsible.

Then again, supporting local purchases is better for us long term.

image host
Message 2 of 20
Latest reply

I remember my last purchase from HN store was about 5-6 years ago and it was a package of discounted AAA batteries 🤣🤣🤣 

Message 3 of 20
Latest reply

Last bought from them about 6 years ago as well, basically due to the 'I'm better than everyone else,anywhere,ever'" attitude of staff in my local store

Message 4 of 20
Latest reply

The staff in all of my local HN stores are polite and helpful. (There are 3 HN stores within 10 km of here.) They are amenable to price matching.

But I can say similar things of various other stores such as Good Guys, Betta, just to name a few.

It's just that there are so many brands (or varieties within brands) not carried in Australia... such as Emile Henry, who do have an Australian website, but the range is pathetic! (Besides, the Australian range doesn't have the colours of the Eureopean and American stores. The only red is brick - ugh. No burgundy red.)

I won't be boycotting Harvey Norman, as my criteria for purchasing items doesn't factor in founder's occasional silliness as a reason. I do factor in things such as range, brand, manufacturer's warranty, colour, quality, cost.

(Mind you, if Harvey Norman came around for tea, I'd be tempted to give him nothing but a stale scone.)

Message 5 of 20
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

You would not really be harming Gerry Harvey personally......most of his stores are run as franchises.  Each department has a different franchisee.  For example, the computer department is run by one franchisee, small electricals by another etc.

Boycot HN stores and you will only hurt the small business operators who still have to pay their fees to Gerry.

Message 6 of 20
Latest reply

I never buy from there anyway - their customer service is the absolute worst I have ever experienced, and that has been on numerous occasions and in more than one store. And their stuff is more expensive than other stores.

Latest reply

I've already boycotted Hardly Normal for years.

Worst service ever.

Won't be going back anytime soon.

Message 8 of 20
Latest reply

I've always preferred The Good Guys back in the days when I actually visited a shop. 

Harvey Norman have never sold anything I've wanted to buy.  There's plenty of other better places.

Message 9 of 20
Latest reply

I've always preferred The Good Guys

Same here. Always thought HN too expensive.

(Not to mention the not so good business decisions GH made)

image host
Message 10 of 20
Latest reply